Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my focus from a local dealer a couple of weeks ago with the stipulation that the dealership would install the factory HID lights for the $450.00 sticker price that was listed on some of the other Foci on the lot. (I wanted a silver focus and they didn't have one with HID) So anyway, the next day I pick up the car and it has the Hella dual kit installed instead of the factory HID's. I went ahead and took delivery of the car after the manager typed up a "We owe you HID lights" document. A week later they call me and say "Drop the car off, the lights are in". I drop the car off and get a call later that evening "We have to order a different wiring harnass " is what I was told me this time. I said OK, since I didn't mind racking up the miles on the loaner car. The next day I get a call from the salesman who sold me my car telling me that they made a mistake, the lights and harnass were going to cost way more than the $450 I paid them and that I owed them an additional $780.00 plus labor for the lights. I quickly reminded the salesman that the only reason I bought the car was because they agreed to install the lights and that I had a binding document stating they owed me a HID's. Five minutes later a manager called me and assured me they would hold up their end of the deal. A day later I get a call saying "Um, this is way more work than we expected but you should have your car tomorrow. Today, I stop by and checked up on my car only to be suprised to see both front wheels off, both front fender liners out and the dash and engine partially disasembled. After talking with a very frustrated mechanic he showed me a harnass resembling a spinal cord with brain attached that he removed from my car. Basically this guy removed the entire wiring harnass and fuse panel from my car and replaced it with the harnass that comes on the SVT with HID. He had 6 hours into the job and estimated another 2 hours to complete it. Glad I'm not paying for it! These lights better be worth it!

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Ummm, can you say excesive squeeks, rattles and various other noises ? I don't think they needed to do all that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortunately the harnass came equipped with all of the clips and zip tie type tie downs already in place. The mechanic was amazed how Ford put the harnass together with such precision. He said all the clips that hold the harnass to the body were already perfectly positioned on the harnass to correspond with the holes on the body. Apparently the harnasses are different, the main difference being the plug that goes into the back of the light.

·
Registered
798 Posts
They didn't have to do it that way. Lets just say they are definately doing it the right way. All you have to do really is cut and splice some wires and get the harness from VW for like $30. The $780 they tried to rip you on is the actual price for them if you had got them from the Ford Parts store seperately. But I definately like them and wish I had them.
When you get your car make sure they don't move when you touch them. The brackets on the lights almost alway break during shipping. It's taken some people five sets of lights before they get one that isn't broke.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Focus is right. I bought my HIDs off eBay and I bought the harnesses from VW. I had both of them completely installed in about 1.5 hours. As a matter of fact, I still have the instructions here... if you want to take a look, email me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen the How-To for installing the HID's somewhere on this site and I even meantioned it to the tech but he said they have to do things a certain way and replacing the entire harnass is the only Ford approved way to make the swap.

Focus, so if I shake the lights with my hands and they are firm I should be OK or is this something I wont notice until I am driving around and hitting bumps?

John, the lights are the same as the ones on the Mach Audio.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
jejejjeje
dude you screw them !

i installed mine in about an hour !

you only need two harness (VW and HID) tape and a peeler....and your off !

Joel

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah if they don't move around then should be fine. Go find some rough road or speed bumps just to be sure.
John- yes they are the same as the Mach edition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts