Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussed thoroughly, but I haven't found any information specifically on the eBay projector head lights for the 2005-2007. All of the posts I have read have been about older, or newer models using the eBay projector lamps.

My question: I have the eBay projector head lamps for my 2005 ST. I am planning to get the H3 55 watt HID kit from DDM ($52 shipped). I was wondering if anyone has done this successfully? I realize that the cutoff will be weird, and there will be many hot spots. I also have read about the correct way to retro fit the HID, but i'd like to try without the retrofit first. I've also heard the bulbs can melt, or damage the halogen projector, but I'd still like to know if any other members have tried this, and what the results were.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unless the projector was designed for an HID lamp (say D2S base) and has a solenoid to control the position of the cut off shield, you'll have poor performance and s single low beam. Most ebay headlamps are not that robust and the clear lens is poor so at minimum you will have a distorted cut off and beam and at most you will warp your housing.

What you should really consider is a complete retrofit including projectors. I use FX-R 3.0 kit from theretrofitsource.com. With a few upgrades I spent around $350. A proper 35w kit with good phillips 4300k lamps will provide more light (and less heat) than the cheap DDM 55w kits (if the ballast output is even near 55w). Your headlamps will look and behave like a high end car instead of an ebay-special Honda and it will be reliable unlike the cheaper stuff. You will also benefit from a wide even beam pattern that is both safe for oncoming drivers and safer for you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unless the projector was designed for an HID lamp (say D2S base) and has a solenoid to control the position of the cut off shield, you'll have poor performance and s single low beam. Most ebay headlamps are not that robust and the clear lens is poor so at minimum you will have a distorted cut off and beam and at most you will warp your housing.

What you should really consider is a complete retrofit including projectors. I use FX-R 3.0 kit from theretrofitsource.com. With a few upgrades I spent around $350. A proper 35w kit with good phillips 4300k lamps will provide more light (and less heat) than the cheap DDM 55w kits (if the ballast output is even near 55w). Your headlamps will look and behave like a high end car instead of an ebay-special Honda and it will be reliable unlike the cheaper stuff. You will also benefit from a wide even beam pattern that is both safe for oncoming drivers and safer for you.
x's 11ty zillion [headbang]

btw pics of your retro?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think I even have pics of the car, lol. 2007 black Focus ST with headlights painted black (except for turn signal reflector) and FX-R 3.0 round projector with Iris trim. Once we get above 5 degrees I'll wash the tasty salt off my car and snap a pic.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. I'll go ahead and give it shot with before and after pictures. If it's bad, and possibly detracting for the other drivers i'll throw the halogens back in, and save for a better lens.

I still would like to see some pictures, and long term impressions by members who have the exact same lights in the eBay lamps, and have had the kit installed for 1 year+.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't think I even have pics of the car, lol. 2007 black Focus ST with headlights painted black (except for turn signal reflector) and FX-R 3.0 round projector with Iris trim. Once we get above 5 degrees I'll wash the tasty salt off my car and snap a pic.
Perfect, my retro is going on my black zx3 and I'm debating on what treatment to do with my turn signal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not the clearest picture but you get the gist.

I did this because it is my daily driver and I wanted better illumination at night. Function and safety came first. Some guys get real crazy with halos and accent LED lighting.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the kit in. It was the 55 watt DDM H3 5000k kit, everything fit perfectly. All white with a hint of blue. I really like the color temp.

Impressions: I know, I know, tisk tisk for not doing it the proper way. As seen before and predicted, there are hot spots. The output has dramatically improved. After some adjusting, there is somewhat of a cutoff, and it will not distract other drivers because it is still projected at a safe level like before. I'll get some photos up soon. I'm curious to see how long before the lens starts to bubble, or chip.

Another member posted some photos of his eBay projectors lights with HID's and my results look very similar. A BRIGHT ass light, with hot spots, safe for driver and other drivers, not a completely straight cut off point.

·
Registered
202 Posts

I did this because it is my daily driver and I wanted better illumination at night. Function and safety came first. Some guys get real crazy with halos and accent LED lighting.
[thumb] dig it.

same here I'm keeping my basic. I just want better light not a disco.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Sorry to thread jack folks...

Gotta_go, would you mind sharing the exact kit you got from TRS? My wife has an 05 and the light output is disgustingly low and I want to put a retrofit in for her, but I'd like to make sure there are no fitment issues if possible.

You said you got the TRS FXR 3.0 kit.:
Did you get the 2.5" or 3" lens?
Did you end up going with 35W or 50W ballasts?
Did you get the 9007/9004 Motocontrol Bi-xenon harness? (I assume so, but figured I'd make doubly sure)

How was the install? Any modification to the bulb socket area needed besides standard disassembly?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My shopping list included...

Bi-xenon FX-R stage III kit

Projectors- FX-R 3.0 (2.5" lens/LHD)
Ballast igniter- Morimoto XB Igniter
Shrouds- Ocular
(you'll end up trimming the very top and bottom of the lens but the width does a good job hiding the projector)
Halos- none
Ballasts- Morimoto XB35
Lamps- D2S phillips 85122 (4300k)
Wire Harness- Motocontrol Bixenon 9007/9004
Sealant- OCI butyl rubber glue

I also purchased black paint, sandpaper, 8/32 all-thread + 8/32 nuts + lock washers, plugs for original harness holes, plastic/composite epoxy.

Some guys just glue the projector to the original halogen reflector (but I think this is a hack's way of attaching the projector). If I remember right, I used a 2.125" hole saw with a 1.125" (or maybe 1.375"?) hole saw in the arbor as a centering guide through the original opening in reflector housing. I then mapped out the 4 mounting holes in the projector casing onto the parabolic reflector housing and used 8/32 all-thread and hardware to support/secure the projector while pulling it against the original reflector. This allows me to adjust the position of the projector to fine tune my cutoff line. I don't have any install pictures (I always do stuff like this but never seem to pause to snap pictures) but if you head over to HIDplanet.com you'll find plenty of ideas.

Reactions: twiggss

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gotta_go, I absolutely LOVE the look of that headlight setup [like]

When you get a chance, could you get some good pics (closeups with some decent lighting?)

I am thinking of doing damn near the same setup on my 07 ZX3, but with the Iris shroud (fully smoothed look). Just not sure about how well it covers & hides the projector, or how well it fits the reflector assembly.

Some questions:
Did you keep the turn signal bulb stock, or tweak that as well? Thinking LED bulb for turn.
Where did you mount your ballasts under the hood?
Was there enough room in the reflector to mount a 3", or were you required to do the 2.5" projector? There seems like a good bit of room in there.

Shrouds- Ocular
(you'll end up trimming the very top and bottom of the lens but the width does a good job hiding the projector)
Halos- none
Ballasts- Morimoto XB35

I also purchased black paint, sandpaper, 8/32 all-thread + 8/32 nuts + lock washers, plugs for original harness holes, plastic/composite epoxy.

Some guys just glue the projector to the original halogen reflector (but I think this is a hack's way of attaching the projector). If I remember right, I used a 2.125" hole saw with a 1.125" (or maybe 1.375"?) hole saw in the arbor as a centering guide through the original opening in reflector housing. I then mapped out the 4 mounting holes in the projector casing onto the parabolic reflector housing and used 8/32 all-thread and hardware to support/secure the projector while pulling it against the original reflector. This allows me to adjust the position of the projector to fine tune my cutoff line. I don't have any install pictures (I always do stuff like this but never seem to pause to snap pictures) but if you head over to HIDplanet.com you'll find plenty of ideas.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Shrouds- Ocular
Halos- none
Ballasts- Morimoto XB35

It seems like a lot of good quality work and quality parts to go into a really cheap light housing. I've had my eBay projector lights for a few years now, and the main clear plastic is already fogging. It did it on its own. I have not touched with that lens cleaner shit, and I live in orange county CA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts