Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me info on their experience using HID bulbs in ebay projectors?

Mine have halogen H3 bulbs. The seller told me they are HID compatible but being they use halogen H3's then the projector is probably shorter.

Being that the H3 HID bulb is longer it probably won't work right. I read you can buy H3c or H3 mini bulbs that should keep the filament close to where it sits currently.

Anyone have any success with HID into halogen ebay projectors.

No, I don't want to take them apart and retrofit, Or do I want to hear about which housings I should have bought instead! :)

Here is what I've got:

Thanks!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I don't have experience with H3c or H3 mini bulbs, but that sounds neat.

I had HID's in ebay projectors and the light output was horrid, I could hardly see at night on the highway. Scary.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I have those same lights.

They are crap in the first place but HIDs in them will improve output but thats about it. Horrible throw, cut off and hot spots.

Pics are with a little bit longer of a shutter time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote xxMichaelAnthony

" I have those same lights.

They are crap in the first place but HIDs in them will improve output but thats about it. Horrible throw, cut off and hot spots." Quote

That doesn't look too bad. Lots of hotspots but good output. Much better than with halogen. I would be fine with that provided it wasn't bothering other drivers.

I don't mind mine I think they put out more light than with the stock housings, mind you I upgraded the bulbs to Osram right away. I would just like them brighter yet.

What HID bulb are you using? I hear an H3 is too long with HID and makes it look worse.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I have the DDM HID kit. They're an H3 in 6000k. The output is better with the HID kit in but it could still be a lot better with a proper retro fit but thats $400 I don't have right now.lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the DDM HID kit. They're an H3 in 6000k. The output is better with the HID kit in but it could still be a lot better with a proper retro fit but thats $400 I don't have right now.lol
You should try some H3C bulbs and see if its better and let me know lol.

Jk I will post back with results should I get a set of HIDs.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Try swapping the projector in it. Try an fxr or a mini h1 or mini d2s from retrofit source.com. Itl be alot easier with those already having projectors and would just need to make a plate to bolt it up in the same location.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
problem with putting HIDs in those is you will burn out the projector. meaning that the reflective surface on the inside will go dull, and your output will be worse than when you just had the halogens.

Your best bet is to do what Sean05 said, and what i did myself, just swap in some decent projectors.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
holly crap that output with HID sucks REALLY bad lol. Thats worse than the anzo projectors for the 05-07! Are those projectors open or sealed? I had 55w HID in my anzo's for 2 years and have the projectors out now and there is no flaking of the chrome yet but i can see bubbles starting to form so it was about to start pealing.

Do some projectors, you will be a lot happier :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL why would they ruin the surface more than a halogen? They don't burn any hotter. That makes no sense.

Anyway I'm going to try HID with H3c bulbs and see how it is. I could care less if it's not as good as it could be. I'm sure it will be better than with halogen, plus I can do the retro fit later if I don't like it.

Like I said in my first post. Not interested in hearing about how I should retrofit but thanks anyways.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
LOL why would they ruin the surface more than a halogen? They don't burn any hotter. That makes no sense.

Anyway I'm going to try HID with H3c bulbs and see how it is. I could care less if it's not as good as it could be. I'm sure it will be better than with halogen, plus I can do the retro fit later if I don't like it.

Like I said in my first post. Not interested in hearing about how I should retrofit but thanks anyways.
Unless you're running an oem hid bulb, they run a lot hotter than halogen bulbs.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you're running an oem hid bulb, they run a lot hotter than halogen bulbs.
Why would that be? Any HID system should be more efficient. There has to be a reduction in temperature.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Aftermarket bulbs run hotter because they skimp on how much salt they put in the bulb to make them cheaper which causes the bulb to run much hotter and have a less life expectancy. I had 55w hid kit in my anzo projectors and took them apart the other day. When looking in the reflector bowl the chrome was starting to bubble. I bet it wouldnt do that with halogen

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Why would that be? Any HID system should be more efficient. There has to be a reduction in temperature.
Efficiency and heat arent too closely related when it comes to headlights. Yes HIDs take less power, but they also produce more light and thus, more heat.

Either way, halogen projectors do not use the same materials as HID housings, and usually burn/bubble/etc.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Does anyone know what projectors fit in these headlights? I'm having quite the time trying to find the answer
Not sure how the inside of these headlights look but if you want an EASY fit, the Mini D2S would fit great in these headlights. The Acura TL with a TSX clear lense swap would also be nice and may be easy but you will need to modify the back to keep moisture out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Efficiency and heat arent too closely related when it comes to headlights. Yes HIDs take less power, but they also produce more light and thus, more heat.

Either way, halogen projectors do not use the same materials as HID housings, and usually burn/bubble/etc.
Well, no. Heat + light output is equal to input power. So a 35w HID vs a 55w Halogen, the HID will produce less heat, and even more so since it is more lumens/watt (more of the power comes as light energy rather than localized heat).

So we all know halogens are less efficient than HIDs, less lumens per watt, so Halogens produce more localized heat because less of the power is converted to light. HIDs produce less localized heat for the same power consumption. But, the HIDs bulbs may have a smaller surface area. I'm not sure how that effects headlight fixtures but I don't think it would do anything.

The increased lights spraying through the reflectors from the HIDs wouldn't heat them up much more than Halogens, as HID bulbs as efficient as they are, still are only a bit over 10% efficient at the most, compared to Halogen which is around 3.5% efficient.
Higher efficiency means the heat isn't as concentrated around the bulb but distributed all around the head lamps and out to the environment.

So I don't see how a 55w or 35w HID can harm a headlight if the headlight is designed for 55w Halogens. The only possible issue is reduced surface area of the bulb and therefore possible hotter bulb temperature but the bulb should be suspended, shouldn't be touched by anything.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, no. Heat + light output is equal to input power. So a 35w HID vs a 55w Halogen, the HID will produce less heat, and even more so since it is more lumens/watt (more of the power comes as light energy rather than localized heat).

So we all know halogens are less efficient than HIDs, less lumens per watt, so Halogens produce more localized heat because less of the power is converted to light. HIDs produce less localized heat for the same power consumption. But, the HIDs bulbs may have a smaller surface area. I'm not sure how that effects headlight fixtures but I don't think it would do anything.

The increased lights spraying through the reflectors from the HIDs wouldn't heat them up much more than Halogens, as HID bulbs as efficient as they are, still are only a bit over 10% efficient at the most, compared to Halogen which is around 3.5% efficient.
Higher efficiency means the heat isn't as concentrated around the bulb but distributed all around the head lamps and out to the environment.

So I don't see how a 55w or 35w HID can harm a headlight if the headlight is designed for 55w Halogens. The only possible issue is reduced surface area of the bulb and therefore possible hotter bulb temperature but the bulb should be suspended, shouldn't be touched by anything.
keep in mind 55 watt halogens are 55watts, hid bulbs aren't as efficient because its 35 output not input... hence why people burn out stock wiring without a wiring harness.... check the lumens on an hid bulb and tell me its not going to burn hotter in a more confined area...

·
Registered
5 Posts
keep in mind 55 watt halogens are 55watts, hid bulbs aren't as efficient because its 35 output not input... hence why people burn out stock wiring without a wiring harness.... check the lumens on an hid bulb and tell me its not going to burn hotter in a more confined area...
35w HID kits, I believe that is power out to the bulb (depends on the kit.). Some more energy is needed because the ballast isn't 100% efficient and of course the increased current when warming up the bulbs. That is where the stock wiring can be inadequate, during warm up. A 35w HID system should be less power during steady state than a 55w halogen setup even after ballast consumption.

Lumens is brightness not heat. More lumens for the same watts means a bit less localized heat and more light output. Power = localized heat + light output.
If you stick a 35w HID bulb and a 55w halogen bulb both in separate identical little plastic boxes and close them up and power up the bulbs, you'll find that the temperature of the box with the HID in it will be cooler than the Halogen even though the lumens is a lot more.
If you use 55w HIDs, who knows, would probably be a toss up, what wattage the ballast really outputs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've gone with Morimoto units. From what I gather, these are the best of the best :) I paid $150 for the 880/881 fog light kit at 6000k of their 3Five Series. I also bought another Morimoto 3Five 35W 6000k H1 bulb set with 9003/HB4 stock wire adapter. The headlight housings I bought accept H1's I'll use the H1 HID as the low beam. Now I;m just trying to figure out where to wire everything and where to mount the 4 ballasts (2 for the headlights) and two for the Fogs). I'm realizing this is turning into a h*ll of a project. When I had a 1999 bmw 323i.. everything was so much easier.. more modder friendly i could swap parts out easily.. here with the focus.. everything is packed in crammed in and put in a way that they make it only so really a mechie can get to it (to protect a union autoworker's job) and make it unfriendly towards self maintaining your vehicle! lol..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts