Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok read about a billion threads but I have a question

I'm getting stock retro fits with morimoto projectors and ballasts from the lighting firm.net. For $370 it's not worth it for me to mess with it.

They send out canbus harness as it works for many cars. If it doesn't they will ship the harness with resistors.

Canbus looks slick. Pretty much plug and play. But if they don't work here is my question. Can I use the canbus harness since its plug and play but then modify the car with FoCCCus so it sees I have alternate hid lights? Or does it have to have a harness and use the FoCCCus? Basically anytning in the canbus harness that will mess with the system that I can't use them both together?

Thanks
lunchbucket

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The short answer is yes, you can use the plug and play harness when you change the settings in the FoCCCus software to "Alternative HID", but post in the FoCCCus thread to be sure...

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't need the canbus harness if you use Focccus. Just connect the hot wire and ground of the headlights right to the ballast and you're good to go. If it makes you feel better you can use it, but it's just a waste of energy. The morimoto canbus harness is just a big resistor that burns off enough energy to make the BCM think your halogens aren't burnt out.

As far as I know all "canbus" harnesses have nothing to do with canbus. Canbus is a bus communications system that car modules use to talk to each other. Headlamps don't have anything like that.

As far as TLF goes I'd stay the hell away from them. I just had a miserable experience with them that I'm going to detail in a post soon. Numerous delays with constant excuses and missed promises. When they finally came they weren't what I ordered and defective to boot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need the canbus harness if you use Focccus. Just connect the hot wire and ground of the headlights right to the ballast and you're good to go. If it makes you feel better you can use it, but it's just a waste of energy. The morimoto canbus harness is just a big resistor that burns off enough energy to make the BCM think your halogens aren't burnt out.

As far as I know all "canbus" harnesses have nothing to do with canbus. Canbus is a bus communications system that car modules use to talk to each other. Headlamps don't have anything like that.

As far as TLF goes I'd stay the hell away from them. I just had a miserable experience with them that I'm going to detail in a post soon. Numerous delays with constant excuses and missed promises. When they finally came they weren't what I ordered and defective to boot.
Yes I'm gonna try the canbus and if doesn't work I'll cut out the resistor and wire up straight to the ballast and use FoCCCus

I'll pm u. I'd like to hear more about TLF. I've already ordered my lights

Lunchbucket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts