Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got around to comparing the two set of bulbs. I'll admit that in a perfect world these would both be on the same surface and at the same distance, buuuut this isn't a perfect world. Regardless, these pictures were taken using the exact same settings (exposure time, aperture, ISO, focal length), and the car was approximately the same distance from the surface. The only material difference is the surface which the light was projected onto. Obviously a white garage door is going to refract more light than a brown stone wall. That said, you can judge for yourself. The difference between the bulbs isn't quite "night and day", but the 55w ballasts are noticeably brighter.

Maybe when I get some time I'll go back to that brown stone wall for a more objective comparison.

Here's some additional information about the bulbs. Besides the ballast wattage and approximate usage of the bulbs, everything is exactly the same. DDM Tuning only sends out 55w bulbs, regardless of what wattage you order - the ballasts are the only difference.

Brand: DDM Tuning
Bulb Size: H9
Color Temperature: 5000K
35w approx. hours used: 100
55w approx. hours used: 5

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Wow 55 is insane.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely never say that it was too dark out!

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Daaammmmm, my eyes hurt. Now thats some light. You should add some 35watt 3000k fog lights!
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quick question. I just installed the DDM 55w in my 2010 SES, and whenever I turn on my headlights, the right side may not come on unless I turn the lights off and back on. Also, I noticed that sometimes when I turn the lights on, they will flash on and turn right back off within a second. There never seems to be an issue on the second try. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It means your stock wiring is having trouble providing the initial surge of power for ignition. I'd recommend purchasing one of their relay harnesses, which hooks up directly to the battery to help provide that extra burst of electricity at ignition.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Daaammmmm, my eyes hurt. Now thats some light. You should add some 35watt 3000k fog lights!
Posted via FF Mobile
I'm actually very heavily considering installation of fog lights. It's just a matter of time before I break down and get some!

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
I'm actually very heavily considering installation of fog lights. It's just a matter of time before I break down and get some!
I just got mine installed. [grinking]

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
You should really put the color temp, approximate hours, and brand of the bulbs.

55 watts do provide really bright light, but in cheap projector housings they will kill the chrome coating due to the massive amounts of heat they generate.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should really put the color temp, approximate hours, and brand of the bulbs.

55 watts do provide really bright light, but in cheap projector housings they will kill the chrome coating due to the massive amounts of heat they generate.
This has been added to the original post.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
please help im a newbie and i am trying to install a sub but dont know what wire to connect the remote cable to ????
Spuds:

1.first off this is the wrong thread to post this question. Go here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

2. I found a thread on FF discussing this about the 08+ install on an aftermarket subwoofer.

3. If you like i can help you by pm me and tell me exactly what you have as for audio setup. I.E Factory/aftermarket Head Unit, factory sub or not...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Damn. This isn't helping me with my decision between 55w and 35w. I'm putting them in Mach HID housings, does anyone know if they can handle the heat from 55w ballasts?

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Damn. This isn't helping me with my decision between 55w and 35w. I'm putting them in Mach HID housings, does anyone know if they can handle the heat from 55w ballasts?
You'd have to rewire the entire Mach headlight so you could use the ballast. Then you would have to find 55W bulbs. If they are legit Mach's they should be able to handle it since it's not a sealed projector.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You'd have to rewire the entire Mach headlight so you could use the ballast. Then you would have to find 55W bulbs. If they are legit Mach's they should be able to handle it since it's not a sealed projector.
Thanks! I still can't decide if I want to jump to 55w ballasts. In regard to the rewiring, I figured this but I purchased a set that was in need of repair (back housing cracked) and am going to fix it up and install a HID kit into it since it didn't come with the bulbs, ignitor, or ballasts. I figured this would be the cheapest quality option. I'll probably end up just getting a 35w D2S kit and wire it up the the 55w is tempting.

·
Registered
489 Posts
2011SE - the light output you are getting is from the ebay projector housings and DDM HID's? The light output is amazing - my headlights have broken tabs and I can't wait to spare the cash to pickup a set of these lights, I'm not even going to install the factory bulbs, going straight to HID's. I had 55w 6K's in my SVTC and I loved them - it was SOO hard to go from that to the crappy stock housings on these cars...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2011SE - the light output you are getting is from the ebay projector housings and DDM HID's?
Yessir! My projectors needed slight modification to get that clean cutoff, but I really do mean SLIGHT. I put some washers in between the projector and the mounting plate so that the HID bulb was pulled out of the projector a tiny bit. If you throw HIDs in there and notice the cutoff isn't perfect, hit me up with a PM and I can point you to my write-up on the materials you need.

Clearly the payoff is worth it [deviltail]

I only used the halogens that came with the headlights ONCE, and it was only the left one. It was so that I could compare how bright they were versus the 35w HIDs.

If you're picking up bulbs, note that they are H9's, not the same size as the stock bulbs (H13? H11?).

·
Registered
17 Posts
It means your stock wiring is having trouble providing the initial surge of power for ignition. I'd recommend purchasing one of their relay harnesses, which hooks up directly to the battery to help provide that extra burst of electricity at ignition.
Well the kit is sold with the High/Low relay already. I was under the impression that you are unable to buy them separate due to the bulb design? Could it be my factory headlight/fog light fuses? Has anyone increased these by 5 amps?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts