Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing that HID's and Halo's are illegal in California now. Anyone know if that true?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I doubt it since more and more cars are coming with HIDs from the factory. Also, the new Mazda 3 comes standard with them, they're not an option. I don't know if this is true, but I heard most car companies are going to switch over to them in the next few years and they will be standard equiptment.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
focusonthefocus said:
I'm hearing that HID's and Halo's are illegal in California now. Anyone know if that true?
Where did you hear this ?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think that would be non-factory installed HIDs that have been made illegal.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
If the factory can put them on, then you can put them on.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Also, the new Mazda 3 comes standard with them, they're not an option.
Not to be nit-picky here, but HIDs are NOT standard on the Mazda3. They are part of a $700 option package. Go to Mazda's website, and choose the "Build your own" option for the Mazda3. When you get to the option packages, you will see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
875 Posts
hotfocus said:
Non factory HID lights have always been illegal since they do not have a self-leveling feature that is required on all HID lighting system.
That, and if you don't use the proper lens assembly, you'll scatter the beam incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I don't think any HIDs are illegal weather factory installed or aftermarket I see more and more everyday and I see no reason why they would be illegal

·
Registered
875 Posts
Seb656 said:
I don't think any HIDs are illegal weather factory installed or aftermarket I see more and more everyday and I see no reason why they would be illegal
When factories install HIDs, they are conforming to all standards the DOT has for beam scatter, reflectivity, beam height, etc.. If you DIY, you might not know of these standards, or have the right equipment to meet them. It's not as simple as a halogen-based system. There are auto-levelers, special lenses, etc. that come into the equation.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Yup, properly installed and aimed HID's are bright enough in my eyes as it is, I don't want some shadetree mechanic's HID's blinding me on a dark road...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
But if aftermarket ones are properly aligned i wouldn't think they would be illegal i think if there is such a law its probably about having them properly aligned etc. i mean your not gonna get busted for them unless there messed up

·
Registered
793 Posts
Seb656 said:
But if aftermarket ones are properly aligned i wouldn't think they would be illegal i think if there is such a law its probably about having them properly aligned etc. i mean your not gonna get busted for them unless there messed up

Blue turn signals and blue tint headlights are illegal too but whens the last time you actually got pulled over for that? In the event non-factory installed HIDs were illegal its a $15 ticket, are you kidding? Who cares....I surely dont

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Good point I know you would never get pulled over for it cops can pull you over for some stupid stuff but most of the time they don't and even so it will be a fairly cheap fine

·
Registered
793 Posts
Exactly, I dont care about dropping $15 for having a phat lighting system on my car, and most cops dont have time to pull people over for that kind of thing, and then the burden is on them to proove that #1 the lights arent factory install, and #2 they arent working properly, and thats all for a $15 ticket, think about it......cops dont want to deal with that kind of hassle, and the only real time ive ever been ticketed for "Defective lighting system or turn signals" was when I got pulled over for exhibition of speed and they choose to go through my car and ticked me on everything they could from an "unsafe ride height" to "Obstruction of view" (window visor more than 5") to "Defective turn signals" just to screw me more

·
Registered
875 Posts
SVT4ME said:
Yup, properly installed and aimed HID's are bright enough in my eyes as it is, I don't want some shadetree mechanic's HID's blinding me on a dark road...
Seriously.

Also, there's another way to get around the whole legality thing surrounding HIDs. Sylvania for instance makes an auxiliary HID light kit that's perfectly legal to be installed by anyone. All they require is aiming. They don't replace your factory headlight assemblies, and you won't have to worry about auto-levelers, etc. I think the *good* set is ~$450.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts