Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm new and tried to ask a question in the thread that got locked but got no reply. I haave a zetec but my cousin recently got a duratec and wants to have a supercharger or turbo kit. i'm tellin him to go turbo. :) anyway i've been trying to research this a bit and it seems like the fs kit is the way to go. would you guys agree? all i find are fs dynos and then read that f2 and mcnews are working on something for hiboost but I never see anything get done?? and why do hiboost have f2 and mcnews do work for them? i'm confused!! anyway I could use some advice but tell me the truth cus it seems like some people twist things around based on that locked thread. i'm gonna have my cousin read this so please let us know. :)

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
No sorry i dont think the FS kit is the way to go

McNews or F2 are not doing any work for Hiboost , McNews is working with them in selling there kits for the focus from what i understand who knows what F2 is doing

You are correct Turbo is the way to go for FI , Would you want a turbo from a Co that just started making turbo kits and are still in the lets see what works best stages or from a Co like Hiboost that has been making turbos for years has proven there ability to make a quality kit and has proven this with many other kits on many other cars

The Hiboost dyno that was posted needed more tuning but like all kits being sold a custom tune on a dyno with a good tuner will allways be the best and safest tune

In my opinion i would buy the Hiboost turbo kit with the SCT PRP and have hiboost drop there tuning out of the kit (I would want this for either kit)

Either way with the tuning I would buy the Hiboost for my Focus Duratec

Read the locked thread closely and look how the fs turbo cars performed that alone should make your decision for you

Tom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so i have taken your advice and read through things. i also did some searching. one thing i noticed is that you are in a lot of conversations and you always say that focusport is bad. i don't mean to be disrespectful sir but from your posts i don't think you are being honest about everything. but maybe i am wrong or maybe i'm missing something. i would like to hear from other people about what they think about the turbo kits. i just want an honest opinion i don't care about the drama of competition. no one talks about the good only the bad stuff. can we hear from hiboost and fs customers? how are your kits?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
thekrux said:
One thing i noticed is that you are in a lot of conversations and you always say that focusport is bad. i don't mean to be disrespectful sir but from your posts i don't think you are being honest about everything.
^^^
I like this qoute.

Honestly the best thing to do is ask some of our customers. I know there is a guy with the screen name of (MASSIVE) on here which has our kit and is loving it. Check it out he should have the answers your looking for.

Look here...http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93679

Thanks,
Vik

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok please let's not get my thread closed. :) so now that people are replying to my questions i want to ask this. focustech people here are saying you hve to detune your cars and you guys shouldn't run hot and someone else said they even tape up their radiator on the track. and then I read you said its about grip. i don't fully get this and my cousin doesn't either. I hope you can tell me so it makes sense please. am I saying all this right?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
thekrux said:
ok please let's not get my thread closed. :) so now that people are replying to my questions i want to ask this. focustech people here are saying you hve to detune your cars and you guys shouldn't run hot and someone else said they even tape up their radiator on the track. and then I read you said its about grip. i don't fully get this and my cousin doesn't either. I hope you can tell me so it makes sense please. am I saying all this right?
Okay here is the deal.
Our street driven car which was making 350WHP & 322WTQ isn't driven like that on the street. We drive and race the car at around 300-310WHP. At this level the car seems to have just enough grip without too much wheel spin.

At 310WHP there is ZERO traction in 1st gear, 2nd gear rips the tires straight to redline from 4500RPM's - 7500RPM's This is with TOYO RA1 race tires size 225. So why keep adding more and more power if you just can put it down. And you can feel 3rd gear wanting to slip the tires too.

So let me explain why people think we detuned the car. We post a dyno showing 350WHP to see what the car is capable of with 91 octane. But it's too much power. So for the street and track we reduced the BOOST to get 300-310WHP which gave us a managable car to drive. People come up to us all day long and say is this the 350WHP car? and we say yes but we reduced or detuned to power down with less boost for the street and track.

I'm not saying 350WHP in a FWD isn't drivable, but it's more suited for drag racing with wrinkle wall tires than being on a road course.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

Thanks,
Vik

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Not sure if you have seen our website but we have about 10 different customers across the country with our Stage 1 & Stage 2 kits on there cars. ALL there mods are always listed on the bottom of there dyno sheet.

Thanks,
Vik

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like both kits and I still am trying to decide which one to go with, but In one thread I recall, don't qoute me on this, Tom was saying something about some of the FS cars going into limp mode due to over heating. what's the actual case behind that?

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have talked with Hi Boost about there kits and possibly working with them on tuning. This is all this kit needs is a good tune and with the quality of the components and pricing it will be a no brainer. I agree with Tom on alot of the issues here. He is the most experienced FI tuner for the Focus and has proven his ability many times and some things are just marketed to the max. Its like leaving your car in the hands of someone with many years of experience and gets his hands dirty in every area of building a real car or being sold by that slick used car salesman. Most members here and elsewhere are just brainwashed to certain ideas but there are real tuners out there that think otherwise and they are not here but have been in touch about the arrogance of some companies. They are not impressed with them and what they have built at all.

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
Im sorry you feel that way , What am i not being honest about and i will back it up with fact

focussporttech posted "So for the street and track we reduced the BOOST to get 300-310WHP" on here but said this on FJ "The FS car was detuned to 285 WHP from 350 WHP" as well as it that lower boost level it "the FS car's coolant got a little hotter than I would have liked "

Another fs car "The H&R car was detuned to 190 WHP "

And another "Paul Haskew's car was detuned to 197 WHP "

Here is what was posted about the limp mode " Our cars got too hot again. The FS car went into limp mode once and scared us for a few minutes,"

Limp mode is where an engine is run so hot the ECU misfires every other Cyl every other time to help keep going and to help reduce the Temp NOT A GOOD THING TO DO

Why buy a turbo kit and when you need your new found power and when you want to use it the most would you turn DOWN the power/boost or detune it ?

As for the traction issue that is just purely BS , I have had well over 350 HP for years with my Focus and many others , My track car is making over 500HP at the wheels and if driven properly barely spins the tires at the track , Sure if you just nail it it will light up the tires 1,2,3,4,5,6 gears in my car but what good is that , there are many on this board that will tell you 300+HP can and is being driven daily with not issues

These are all quotes that were posted by the fs VP on FJ , Im not competition because i dont make or sell turbo kits anymore and i posted this just so you didnt feel i was not being honest about anything

My opinions come from many years of building turbo kits , more tuning on the Focus then any other Co out there as well as from the most powerfull Foci on the streets

Tom

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...I'm making 340hp/338tq @ the wheels. Ran at VIR and Mid-Ohio. Mid-Ohio went all weekend the car never overheated. Only sorry "They " didn't set it up to run all the Focuses head to head ,strickly Focuses, to settle this.
While I CAN light the tires up in the lower gears, that's not HOW you run the track, is it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yel900rr said:
We have talked with Hi Boost about there kits and possibly working with them on tuning. This is all this kit needs is a good tune and with the quality of the components and pricing it will be a no brainer. I agree with Tom on alot of the issues here. He is the most experienced FI tuner for the Focus and has proven his ability many times and some things are just marketed to the max. Its like leaving your car in the hands of someone with many years of experience and gets his hands dirty in every area of building a real car or being sold by that slick used car salesman. Most members here and elsewhere are just brainwashed to certain ideas but there are real tuners out there that think otherwise and they are not here but have been in touch about the arrogance of some companies. They are not impressed with them and what they have built at all.
if hiboost have all the turbo experience why do they need help from mcnew for tuning? this the part that worries my cousin and me too really.

so am i reading correctly that you think the fs kit is all hype and not a good kit and fs are slick salespeople?

i haven't seen any arrogance yet but i'm starting to get a sense of who doesn't like who around here. hmm.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Im sorry you feel that way , What am i not being honest about and i will back it up with fact

focussporttech posted "So for the street and track we reduced the BOOST to get 300-310WHP" on here but said this on FJ "The FS car was detuned to 285 WHP from 350 WHP" as well as it that lower boost level it "the FS car's coolant got a little hotter than I would have liked "

The 285WHP was done on the Streets of Willow which was a really small track and did NOT need so much power. Also it was like 110 outside temp that day.

The 300-310WHP was on the big track at Willow which we used some more power cause of there long straights. The temp was a little better at like 100 that day.

Another fs car "The H&R car was detuned to 190 WHP "

And another "Paul Haskew's car was detuned to 197 WHP "
This is because both of these cars were slipping the factory clutch on the track so what was the point of cranking the boost back up to it's normal level when the clutch can't hold.

Here is what was posted about the limp mode " Our cars got too hot again. The FS car went into limp mode once and scared us for a few minutes,"

Limp mode is where an engine is run so hot the ECU misfires every other Cyl every other time to help keep going and to help reduce the Temp NOT A GOOD THING TO DO
The coolant did get too hot and the cars safety feature kicked in which saves the motor. The factory cooling system is NOT good enough when your making nearly 3x the power and racing on a track in 100 degree temp doing +140MPH.

Why buy a turbo kit and when you need your new found power and when you want to use it the most would you turn DOWN the power/boost or detune it ?
Like I said above the factory clutches cant hold the power. And more HP is NOT always better, this is not drag racing. It's much easier to modulate the power when you have the adequote amount for the grip of the car and the track your on. We were not able to put the power down coming out of the turns and thats where you can loose a lot of speed.

As for the traction issue that is just purely BS , I have had well over 350 HP for years with my Focus and many others , My track car is making over 500HP at the wheels and if driven properly barely spins the tires at the track , Sure if you just nail it it will light up the tires 1,2,3,4,5,6 gears in my car but what good is that , there are many on this board that will tell you 300+HP can and is being driven daily with not issues

These are all quotes that were posted by the fs VP on FJ , Im not competition because i dont make or sell turbo kits anymore and i posted this just so you didnt feel i was not being honest about anything

My opinions come from many years of building turbo kits , more tuning on the Focus then any other Co out there as well as from the most powerfull Foci on the streets

Tom
This must be just driver preference because if you dont think your 500WHP FWD car has too much power around a corner than I guess there must not be a limt.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
" This is because both of these cars were slipping the factory clutch on the track so what was the point of cranking the boost back up to it's normal level when the clutch can't hold."

And what company policy was used to run the factory clutch and 300+ HP. That is the judgement I'm glad wasn't used building My car...

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
thekrux said:
if hiboost have all the turbo experience why do they need help from mcnew for tuning? this the part that worries my cousin and me too really.
I dont know that McNews is or has done anything for the hiboost kit , Ray has talked to them and so have i , like i said before ANY turbo kit you go with needs proper tuning on a dyno for safety and best performance anyone that sais they can tune for the best performance and safety from mailorder is lying to you , with this fact in mind get the PRP and find a local dyno take the starter mailorder tune that comes with the kit to your dyno guy and have him tweek it

thekrux said:
so am i reading correctly that you think the fs kit is all hype and not a good kit and fs are slick salespeople?[/B]
Hype , No its there and its running BUT do you want a kit from a Co that just started building turbo kits this year , Do you want a kit/tuning that they had to detune and it and it still ran hot when you want to go beat on it ,

thekrux said:
i haven't seen any arrogance yet but i'm starting to get a sense of who doesn't like who around here. hmm. [/B]
It has nothing to do with me liking or not liking fs you asked opinions and i gave mine , i posted fact to back up what i was saying

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE focussporttech "The coolant did get too hot and the cars safety feature kicked in which saves the motor. The factory cooling system is NOT good enough when your making nearly 3x the power and racing on a track in 100 degree temp doing +140MPH.

Why is it you seem to be the only ones having issues with the cooling with 3 times the HP then stock , We have built over 50 300+HP some 400 a 500 and a 700 and dont seem to be having any cooling issues , none of the other DIY or ones running other kits making 300 are not having any issues either , With proper tuning the STOCK COOLING IS MORE THEN ENOUGH
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

thekrux, you have to do what is best for you and your cousin , Im not in compitition with anyone because i dont build turbo kits any longer so i have nothing to gain from what im telling you , IF you look around you will find i have done many higher HP cars then 300 and none run hot and none have EVER seen the limp mode

Tom

·
Registered
696 Posts
Easy answer, rather than asking which is better, do some research on your own!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
finalley said:
" This is because both of these cars were slipping the factory clutch on the track so what was the point of cranking the boost back up to it's normal level when the clutch can't hold."

And what company policy was used to run the factory clutch and 300+ HP. That is the judgement I'm glad wasn't used building My car...
lol this is a good example of twisting things that i said in my first post. or you didn't read closely enough. :) the guy from fs said the cars that had the slipping clutches were the 190 and 197 hp cars. lol.

anyways this is some good info here. i'm going to see what people on focaljet think too now.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
finalley said:

Well the 197WHP car is a customers car.

The 190WHP car is H&R's car.

Both these cars are not ours, nor did we have a good clutch to use at the time. We will have clutchs within a few weeks that can handle the extra power.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Tom, it's plain silly to think a cooling sytem designed for a 150HP car can handle the duty of cooling a car with 700HP on a track in +100 degree weather.

If this was the case companys like PWR & Fluidyne must be making radiators for show, and not for racing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Man, is there ever a thread discussing FI that doesn't turn into god damn spam match between FS and Tom? I respect both parties for the jobs they do and the reputations they've built but come on, all people on here are looking for is fact and truth. Not any "well, their system sucks because..." or "You only say it sucks because....". Please, help out the community and stop the flaming. Like I said, we just want to know the capabilities of various FI and any tuning suggested or things along that line. Thank you.

[rolleyes]

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.