Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I got a flat tire on the first day! Doh!

The story is HERE.

And yes, I traded in my Mustang GT for my SVT Focus. My review and story about that is HERE.

Just thought I'd say "HI" because I'm new. I'm a licensed SCCA race car driver, Skip Barber grad, and Ford Racing fanatic. Looking forward to chatting with you all here. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Beetle

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! Hope it doesn't disappoint. I'm lovin mine! Had it for just over a month. I read one of your posts and followed the SCCA link. Thanks again, I look forward to learning how to really drive the SVTF!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah! I would also really appreciate some driving techniques from a Pro!! I read some SVT owners where 'drifting' with the SVT - can you really 'drift' with a front wheel drive car?? I think it was just a case of loosing back-end grip and loosing speed... Any driving tips would be appreciated!! :)

Had my SVT for 2 weeks now... I have plenty of Karting (rental only) experience and 7 years of driving a Ford Probe GT...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

WHOA NELLIE, though--I'm not a "Pro" by any stretch of the imagination. Just a redneck with a little seat time and formal instruction. I'll do my best to give pointers where I can, though.

As for the frontwheel drive car drift capability--yup, I've seen it done. Even BEEN IN THE CAR with an actual pro driver* who did it with a Neon R/T no less. VERY cool, but I have NO idea how he did it!

I can do it no problem in my Mustang, but I guess that doesn't count here, eh? :)

Beetle

*R.B. Stiewing

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have never drifted my FWD cars aside for by accident and have not been able to replicate on purpose by any means. But everytime I did drift was in a instance where the rear end became almost weightless, and I was cutting really hard. I have seen others do it, but i have never been able to to do it. A friend of my with a Isuzu I-Mark Turbo Sollo'd and that was one reason he was successful, cause he said he always steered with the rear end of the car. And if you watched him run. The rear end would slide ever so slightly. He was extrememly good at controlling it.

AHHH I love watching extrememly skilled drivers. Wish I had the money to attend some formal training.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Beetle,

Happy to see another new SVTF owner. Welcome!

·
Registered
374 Posts
[cheers] Congrats on the purchase. Don't think you'll be disappointed. Just wondering if your planning on taking the svtf to the track?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh indeed, this car will be at the track! Can't wait to see the lap times--I'm pretty sure they'll be faster than my actual race car! It'll be on my home track, Summit Point, but probably not until next Spring, though. I know it's not necessary for a "break-in" period, but I'm going to go easy on her for several K. Old habit, I guess.

Thanks for the additional welcome messages!

Oh, and I'll get a picture up soon--the weather is crappy right now.

Beetle

·
Registered
76 Posts
well congrats on the sweet ride I love mine and had it less then a month in a half and have almost 3000 miles on it which will be the second oil change and I love the color mine has it all but full leather

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
new!

I also just got my SVT... at the end of August! So far I 'm loving it![:D]

·
Registered
38 Posts
congrats on the svt man, hope u enjoy it

·
Registered
412 Posts
Beetle, welcome and congrats on the new SVTF. I know you will enjoy it. I have always wanted to attend the Skip Barber School, they have on at Lime Rock in CT. But, it always seems I never have the $$ to do it. Maybe some day.
[welcome]
I have the Infa-Red 03 ZX3. Got it in June, and have 9k on it already. Three road trips. One to NC and the other two to NH. I was at the NASCAR race in NH last week.
And off to Manhattan this coming Sunday, to see His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Central Park.
Love my SVTF!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 1998 Yellow Steeda Mustang Cobra, I sold it to some guy for $14500, and has a ford dealership, so I picked up a 2002 Black SVT.. I love it. I miss my Mustang, sometimes,more or less though, the SVT Focus is a nice car. . .I'm waiting on the new lightning though . lol. be safe man, it is a pretty quick car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts