Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a high flow cat but not sure which one or even if it will make any difference in performance. Or should I go with an ORP? Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
getting a hi flow cat or ORP will only make a difference if youve done a full exhaust. I swapped to a hi flow cat as my last exhaust mod, and it made a pretty nice difference in response. I would recomend it if youve alreayd gotten header flex and catback, other wise get a cat back first

·
Registered
385 Posts
The ORP is louder than the HFC. Im going to go for the HFC over the ORP just cause i dont want it to be obnoxiously loud and I want it to pass emmision testing. Ha
Other than that the ORP has more gains if im not mistaken.... but any gains from bolt-ons on a SVT are small.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
getting a hi flow cat or ORP will only make a difference if youve done a full exhaust.
^^^Just an FYI...
This is the SVT forums. An exhaust upgrade is not needed on the SVTF to get benefits from an ORP or HFC.
In fact, and exhaust upgrade isn't really needed at all.[;)]

At any rate the HFC did make a noticeable difference on my car.
Lemme find an earlier post and link it here so I don't have to write it all again...
Here's a review I did on the CFM HFC:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2070007&#post2070007

Or:
And, a quick review:
I came into this not expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised and mistaken.
There's quite the increase in throttle response between 2,000-5,000 rpm.
^^^Right where most of my driving is. [;)]
I also notice a lot less "bog" when taking off from a stop.
Initial impressions are that this really woke up the bottom end a good bit.
Me Likey!

I'm not too happy with the volume increase in the lower revs though.
I liked how quiet the stock system was. (The rest of my system is still completely stock)
I'm sure I'll get used to it, but there's quite the "grunt" in the low end now.
At least that's a good sign that it freed up the flow a bit. [thumb]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
A HFC or ORP are probably the best mod you can do N/A as far as power increases. Def worth it, finding one may be alittle difficult as it seem they are constantly out of stock everywhere.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A HFC or ORP are probably the best mod you can do N/A as far as power increases. Def worth it, finding one may be alittle difficult as it seem they are constantly out of stock everywhere.
Try McNews automotive, I was just able to order a random technologies HFC on Thursday.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
To add more to the opinion base, I too felt a good increase in power with my CFM high-flow cat. Per CFM's dyno charts, there isn't much difference between the HFC and the offroad pipe (maybe 2hp), so I went with the cat to stay legal.

And like WD40 said, a cat-back exhaust is not needed on the SVT until you start looking at forced induction.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a CFM HFC. It felt like someone had uncorked the bottle when around 3k rpms, if you know what I mean. Don't expect bigs gains from it, but I like the gains more than a flash tune...as far as pure power goes.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
^^^Just an FYI...
This is the SVT forums. An exhaust upgrade is not needed on the SVTF to get benefits from an ORP or HFC.
In fact, and exhaust upgrade isn't really needed at all.[;)]

At any rate the HFC did make a noticeable difference on my car.
Lemme find an earlier post and link it here so I don't have to write it all again...
Here's a review I did on the CFM HFC:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2070007&#post2070007

Or:
so would getting a slightly bigger exhaust kit w/OPR or HFC be good to get for the SVTF? say a 2.5 trubendz kit?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
LOL no, he said the complete opposite, and I agree: there's no need to upgrade the exhaust at all. All you need to do is change out the cat pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
You cetainly can get the Borla, but all it does is change the exhaust note. There are no power gains from it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
where can u get a HFC now ?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
You'd have to wait for focus.c-f-m.com to get them in stock, or hope they appear on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I don't think NJ does emissions testing with OBD2; they just plug the computer into the OBD2 port and see what it says. If you don't have a check engine light, you should be fine, I would think. I have to get inspected soon too, so I guess I'll be finding out for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts