Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone heard any information about this turbo kit. I called the company the other day to get some more information and didnt get to much b/c i really couldnt understand the fellow i was talking too, and there's nothing to detail about it either on the website.

but from my understanding it comes with all necessary parts and bolts.

all that i can notice is it's slightly cheaper than focus sport in the long run.

if anyone has information to this or knows a little bit about it please share.

thanks
Zack

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
We've heard about it, and asked plenty of questions in --> this thread<--

I tried to get on HiBoost's site yesterday, but for some reason I couldn't find the Focus turbo page. If you're really interested you can email Juan at HiBoost and ask him. He has been very good about responding to emails.

The basic info should be detailed in this thread, but most of what can be said from the start is:
1) Intercooler (as compared to the FS Stage 1)
2) External wastegate as compared to FS's internal design
3) Fuel injectors that fit the factory connectors
4) Upgrade options (from website) include remote BOV

I want to say it comes with a separate boost controller, but I'm not positive on that since I can't locate the parts list on HiBoost's website. I'm sure this is a temporary issue, and I have seen it on there before. It's probably just a linking screw up.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link these were all the basic questions i was looking for.

as for not knowning much about all this forced induction stuff i still dont understand whats the difference of having an external and internal waste gate and remote bov. [???:)]

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Internal wastegate= the wastegate blocks some exhaust flow because it's inside the turbo, but the whole package appears smaller on the outside. Most stock turbochargers will have internal wastegates because it's easier to work around inside the engine compartment, and easier to place the turbo.

External wastegate= A more free flowing design that reduces some heat transfer, but bulkier on the outside.

Remote mounted BOV= the blow off valve vents compressed air to the atmosphere when it's too much for the engine, like during deceleration. It usually makes a sharp sound when the compressed air is released. A remote BOV would relocate the place where the expelled compressed gasses go, so basically you're just piping it out from under the hood to somewhere else further away so it's not as loud.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
^^^Well said. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some much to learn but thank you for explaning that to me... but i could be wrong doesnt the IHI VF22 have an internal waste gate?

the last turbo on this page

http://www.hiboost.com/turbochargers.html

isnt that small round gold thing the waste gate....

please again i dont know much about FI so dont go rubbing stuff in my face and say what an idiot... I'm just trying to learn

bov and waste gate are two different things right?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
gottaride28 said:
please again i dont know much about FI so dont go rubbing stuff in my face and say what an idiot... I'm just trying to learn

Who said that?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no one said that... i was just saying dont anyone think that of me for trying to learn

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Well, I'm no expert on turbos either, but I believe that the round shiny gold thing you're referring to is the diaphram that actuates the wastegate. The wastegate would be the cast metal hump on the side of the housing.

The wastegate limits the boost by diverting exhaust around the impeller. This is the main mechanical regulator of turbo boost, to my knowledge (which can be unreliable), and the blow off valve is like a back up safety.

Somebody please hook me up if I'm in the wrong here [:D]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Check with Mcnewsautomotive.com as well. I believe they have been playing with one of these kits as well. So they may have some info for you.

The wastegate "dumpd" unwanted boost to atomoshere to hold the boost in the car at what you have it set at ( ie 10lbs ). So yes, you are pretty much spot onthere.
The BOV dumps the pressure present in the system when you shut the throttle under boost, this basically keeps the "boost" from pushing back against the impeller of the turbo. All the funky sounds are basically manufactored by the shape of the BOV and the horn it goes out of. I have been in cars making 25 lbs of boost and you can barely hear the thing as it dumps back into the manifold. Where as the screetche of a BOV has become somewhat "fashion "

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Waste gate /The wastegate limits the boost by diverting exhaust around the impeller.

Internal waste gate :dumps the wasted Exh before the impeller to maintain boost this is dumped internal back through the Exh downpipe and out the tail pipe

External waste gate :dumps the wasted Exh before the impeller to maintain boost this is dumped internal back through the Exh downpipe and out the tail pipe OR can be dumped to atmosphere avoiding the spent gases from having to be pushed through the full Exh system and helping performance and spoolup

BOV :The BOV dumps the pressure present in the system when you shut the throttle under boost, this basically keeps the "boost" from pushing back against the impeller of the turbo.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts