Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, new here and need some quick help.

Bought 2 dealer only part(s) Wiring Pigtail Kit (4U2Z 14S411 DA) and resistor for the engine cooling fan, since mine fried, and none at the pick n pull or boneyards.

Last person who repaired a/c apparently bypassed the pigtail and ran wires with leads directly into the resistor. (Sorry, not very mechanical here)

The original wires from the harness are 1 solid green and 1 solid green with a white stripe. The pigtail is not coded, only 2 black wires, but the female end cap shows wire 1 and 2, but both are solid black only. (pic attached)

Anyway, since i have no original pigtail and the wires burnt on the end and came off,so they are no longer connected, i have no way of knowing which pigtail wire goes to the harness wire with the stripe and which goes to the harness wire that is solid green.

can anyone tell me or does anyone know if wire 1 or 2 from the pigtail goes to the solid green or white-striped green harness wire?

both the pic attached and the link below may help explain what i am trying to say

Thanks in advance for any help

photo (1).JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Z7uotk2k4

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Most likely does not but I prefer to have the thermal limiter before the resistor coil. Really shouldn't matter though as the heat gets to it one way or the other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ty for ur reply

For future reference shop foreman at dealership advised wire 1 goes to green & white stripe, in case anyone ever wonders....

however, i can see now why it doesn't matter- because both fans' blades are slanted in opposite directions, so one will draw air away and the other will fan the radiator to cool it.

the only difference in the way one hooks up the wires will be the direction in which the fans spin.

meanwhile, car seems to run fine now,

thanx again.

[:)]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ummm

You're hooking up to both sides of a resistor there (simplified) with the power flowing through it - both sides are "hot" positive leads. One from a source & the other on to the unit supplied (fans).

Switchin' plus & minus AT the fans would make a difference, there isn't a + & - at the resistor.

Check the air flow when they run, you might be surprised. (one in & one out - if it does there's something wrong).

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,606 Posts
For future reference shop foreman at dealership advised wire 1 goes to green & white stripe, in case anyone ever wonders....

however, i can see now why it doesn't matter- because both fans' blades are slanted in opposite directions, so one will draw air away and the other will fan the radiator to cool it.

the only difference in the way one hooks up the wires will be the direction in which the fans spin.
[:)]
The way it came from the factory is GN/WH to pin 1 and GN/BU to pin 2, but it just doesn't make any difference. The resistor connects to a 30A source on the GN/WH wire and a 50A source on the GN/BU wire along with the fans. The resistor does not determine which way the fans spin and it will not change anything if the wires are reversed on it.

The OP was possibly looking at his fans incorrectly. If you look at one side of one fan and then look at the other side of the other fan, they will appear to have blades slanting in different directions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you please clarify? we tried the wires both ways, it was hard to tell any difference. Both times if felt as if air was blowing from the radiator back toward the engine.

Although FN's comment may indicate i do not need to worry.

It is hard to tell, the car seems to run fine, however i have not driven it for any extended trip, i.e. 20 + miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
There's no difference because there's NO DIFFERENCE as he said, nothing to explain. Your idea about slanted fan blades is incorrect as well, both fans blow air toward back of car and will continue to do so either way you wire that resistor.

You switch + and - to reverse fan direction, you have no - in either of those wires. One is a + and the other is the continuance of that +. The fans have hard wired separate grounds elsewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts