Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the max I can bore the stock 2001 block if you know? I`m gonna build one but I have no limit specs or clearences available.. Also is there a ford book avail. for this from ford?? OLD chiltons had the tolerances in them but.. Thats a thing of the past it seems [V] There will be alot of ?? along the way but I`m starting the motor from scratch so who knows.. I like what I have but I want MORE...Any feed back from all would help Thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
this my not be what you are looking for but have you looked at the ford focus builders hand book.I have a copy and it has come in handy whil i am building my zetec.There is every thing from intaks to full 500hp engien builds.Check it out.[:D]

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i bought mine at booksamillon.It was $18.00

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ....Now I can begin to really start at the core and move out..I like my head and cams but the jrsc really kinda sucks! I shoulda gone turbo....I just would not pass smog.. So here I go from the bottom up!!!! Can`t wait to build & can`t wait to blow the old one!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
it has turbo and S/C builds in it too.But if you whant to go el natural than thay have a kick ass 12-second, 223-hp,all motor zetec build.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
liquid....that book is worthless...and basically from what you probably know, you could use it to wipe your ass...do to the thin cyl walls on the focus i'd go .30 over at most. you usually don't go much over anyway on a aluminum block 4 cyl.

slammed, yea but that 223hp all motor can't be street driven and would pass inspection even if you paid the guy off.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx kickin...I do know a little bout this stuff..[}:)] Originaly I was thinking .30-.40 possible sleeves or nickasill..But I`ts a ton of $$$ So what about cranks?? Is there a company that makes strockers or ??I know there are a few styles of rods avail. And pistons buy the bucket loads. But I never see any crank mods I could be looking in the wrong places. Not a single builder here in the great lake of salt.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't have to worry about inspections were i live.As long as you have working lights and a body on it you can drive anything.Thay won't mess with you.Some guys don't have it as good as i do kicknzx3.(As far as modding there rides and not having to worry about stupid inspections)

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
slammed: its not fair...if it wasn't for inspection, i would prolly keep this car.

keep the stock crank, no need for a cryo treatment or a knife edge/stroker. no builders because theres no reason, do the main caps and don't worry...not gonna get crazy crankwalk

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You could get a crank for the focus from crower but its pretty much custom made so its a lot of money.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
First off, unless you are doing serious engine work overboring isn't necessary or beneficial.

Its not like on a V8 where you can overbore a 302 say .030" and get 306 cubic inches.

Most of the piston/ring packages sold from companies like JE and race engineering are for an 85mm bore on the zetec.

Skip the focus builders book, it is full of useless information.

As far as strokers go, a stroker kit starts around $ 3000+.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
But is a stroker kit worth the $3,000+?What kind of peformence would you get out of it focal?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after some research I have decided to just go with .30 bore..Yes the cranks are damn pricey..So thats out at this time. Just the block with the head cost $475.00..(I feel sorry for the person who owned this focus--IT WAS CRUSHED took a big hit from the back) So It looks like major internal work(rods-pistons etc..) As for the head this will be the focus of power related to the turbo I`m gonna be putting on..So far I just have the motor on the stand[;)] And I walk around it just thinking my my my. So it`s time to break out the new ratchet wrenches the wife gave me for x-mas...Will deff. keep ya posted with whats up a any ???

edit: ya I was worried about crankwalk...I don`t think I going for more than 315-330 h.p. crank So Who knows Could just be a BIG pipe dream if MY better half will get out of it...And let me build!!![?|]

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Overboring your cylinders .030 will require the use of a custom piston/ring package. Why would you need to overbore the cylinders? How many miles are on the engine?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
35,000 I guess the real answer here is YES this will be my first 4 cyl.. Build and with a computer---So what I know is I-6`s v-6`s & v-8`s all older..To bore will bring up the displacment therefore more torque is easyer to come buy and etc..Am I barking up the wrong tree??

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Umm by overboring a 122 ci engine displacing 2.0 liters by .030 you will see very little increase. Its not like its going to increase to 2.2 or 2.3, might get 2.05.

With 35k miles the engine is bearly worn in. Just do a standard build on it. Trust me, no need for cylinder boring.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe this may be good advice to go buy..Any $$$$ save means more in a different area..So I believe I shall start with beefer rods-diff. pistons rings etc..Who has sodium valves for this motor to help keep it cool under the swirl??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts