Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has taken the steering wheel off and has any tips or tricks on how to do it.....she's a 2001 zx3 with no audio or cruise control features.

thanks a bunch
[:D]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i think it might be easy

this is all i have to do
the car is alligned properly i took it in but the steering wheel is off a bit (not poiting straight)
so i would like to take it off to re-allign it to straight so how would i do that?

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
If you took it and had it aligned, they should have made sure the steering wheel was straight. I'd take it back and see if they'll fix it for you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
dude, take it back. There was this one anal guy and when he would come in for an alignment he would bring a small level with him, and he would sit in the drivers seat and hold the steering wheel while I did the alignment. Ya, you can be picky, just take it back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the least amount of time these guys (the garage) are in my car the better.....its hard to find a decent car guy to do little things to it like steering wheel allignment.....see i haven't been able to find a car place that listens to me and i'm sure everyone has had this where they bring the car in knowing G0D DAM well whats wrong but these guys insist in looking at it first for a cool $88 then they come out and say to you exactly what you went in there telling them.....so if i could do the work myself with the help of people such as your selves people who actually don't have there heads in there asses would be great.

so thanks guys for the tips in bringing it in but i can't take it in anymore i want to take care of her in my own little way

so i guess my search continues
[thumb]

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hear you, Enzo! And totally agree, too. Nobody will be careful with your car as much as you will; of course it helps to know what you're doing, too.
Make sure you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a few minutes -- that should prevent the airbag from going off.

·
Registered
764 Posts
disconnect the battery first thing. good idea to pull the air bag fuse also.
gently remove the the air bag cover.
do not disconnect the yellow air bag wire if at all possible. there will be a nut in the center of the st wheel remove it. pull off the wheel you might need a puller.
assemble in reverse. be very careful an exploding air bag can kill.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i get that but

is the airbag disconnect underneath the e-brake? there are two plugs under that console marked airbag?

wondering if that is the disconnect? see cause my father did it to his Porsche and it seemed real easy but then again i wasn't there to witness how he did it and it had an airbag as well, so why would the airbag go off if all i am doing is taking the wheel and readjusting it? not taking it completly off i don't know how else to explain it, i am sorry [8]

·
Registered
253 Posts
also remember that after you disconnect the batery and the fuse there is a reserve power unit for cases wher the power supply is disrupted in a collison so the chance of the bag blowing is still there. hope that added some more info that someone can use. had one blow at the shop i work at after we had the fuses pulled and the batery disconnect for a couple hours. messed up situation. good luck and also if i'm not mistaken the foci need a special puller to get the steering wheel of. don't quote me though

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is there anywhere that i could find this out like view it somewhere i can't find anything on the net. Has anyone added a new steering wheel? or is everyone running stock - don't get me wrong i love the small steering wheel but c'mon someone has to of added a MOMO wheel in these beautiful foci I see. Thanks for the tips though ur awesome for the help [thumb]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
enzobort said:
k whats the black dot on the envelope? am i on a list? [xx(]
all it means is that you have replied to that thread. an un-opened envelope means you haven't read that thread yet, and so on and so forth. just some handy tools to help you get around the site a little easier.

Mike

·
Registered
764 Posts
Go to ford parts department and ask them. With the correct approach you can find out any thing about your car with a little patience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts