Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I need your help.
I bought my Volant and installed it. Let it run for 15 mins then tried starting off... it shuddered then died. Start the car back up and the engine lights on, not only that but the idle is high (1750) And is almost undriveable. After about 1 1/2 mins everything is perfect, as if nothing has happened. I can drive for hours without any problem, I can even turn off my car and start it up again but if I turn off the car and let it sit for about 2-3 hours the idle is real high again and it takes about 1 minuite of jerky driving to become normal? I've checked all connections. I also took it to autozone and they said the engine light was because the MAF sensor was moved, they turned off the check engine light, but as soon as I lturned off my car and let itr sit for a few hours, the idle was high, the driving was jerky and the light came back on? No one seems to know whats going on PLEASE HELP

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
did you disconnect the neg. batt. cable b4 moving the maf sensor??( & resetting the ecu ) that could cause some of that. hopefully you didn't damage the maf sensor when moving it?
nyway try resetting the ecu & take it on a drive for about 15 miles.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
^^^there must be some sort of way you went wrong, take everything off and unconnect the battery, then reinstall everything, see if that fixes it.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
focusedaddiction said:
did you disconnect the neg. batt. cable b4 moving the maf sensor??( & resetting the ecu ) that could cause some of that. hopefully you didn't damage the maf sensor when moving it?
nyway try resetting the ecu & take it on a drive for about 15 miles.
I don't know where some of you get your info but this is not true.

Yes, it's usually a good idea to reset the ECU so it adapts quicker to the mods but even without an ECU reset/battery disconnect, your ECU will learn(15-20 minutes of normal driving) that additional air is present at different rpms and compensate fuel as needed in open-loop mode.

I agree with DrkKnight614. You either have your MAF on wrong/improperly connected/wiring harnest not seated all the way or you have a leak between your TB and your air filter.
If you didn't touch the TPS or TB, than I can't see anything else that would cause the issues you reported.

Also make sure you didn't disconnect anything else while installing the intake system.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've uninstalled and reinstalled it three times... My brakes work fine... I've even ran the car and had a friend press on the throttle with the hood open so I can listen for leaks... nothing? I really just don't understand it?

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
I wonder if some of the oil from the new filter got on the MAF and is causing a weird problem on cold start up......hell just thorwing that out there. My car won't idle right either, but nobody can help me with my problem, not that anyone hasn't responded, just i'm all out of ideas and so is everyone else.....

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
thfc1799 said:
I've uninstalled and reinstalled it three times... My brakes work fine... I've even ran the car and had a friend press on the throttle with the hood open so I can listen for leaks... nothing? I really just don't understand it?
It's difficult to listen for leaks. It's best to buy some fuel injection/carb cleaner and spray around the TB and MAF.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
"I also took it to autozone and they said the engine light was because the MAF sensor was moved, they turned off the check engine light, but as soon as I l turned off my car and let itr sit for a few hours, the idle was high, the driving was jerky and the light came back on?"
It's possible that moving the MAF half an inch from the stock location could cause an issue but no one here has never had a CEL from installing a Volant.

If you are getting a CEL related to MAF, I would check the harnest connection to the MAF and make sure it's secure and as mentioned, you might want to clean the MAF. There's a How To on the FAQ page of How To's.

Also verify that the arrow(air flow) on the MAF is pointing toward the TB.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Make sure that the MAF housing is fully seated in the hole in the Volant airbox, you may have a leak there if it did not fully seat there. It should pop into place when you tighten the bolts. Make sure that the o-ring is in good shape.

Did you remove the MAFS from it's housing? If so, make sure that it is fully seated as well.

I hope this helps.

Tony D

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know why your having this prob. if there are no leaks, and no bad parts. I installed my Volant w/out removing the neg. batt. cable @ all. I started mine up and it ran just fine. I dunno. But I did notice it smooth out and feel more performance after disconnecting my batt. later. Course this was after several mods. But my Volant was my first performance mod.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.