Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as far as I know mostly every foci here is a auto which brings a 1000$ premium also Do you like to rock your car as the lights about to turn green this is another less nasty habit I've gotten into...I've noticed that almost 5spd guys do this...I think I'm the only 5spd in town too LOL!

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
I don't think anyone really cares around here. but i'm sure if someone knew about foci, and looked at my car, they'd be pretty suprised. considering my car was the only 5 speed that the dealership it was bought at didn't even know it had the car. i'm just a lucky duck i guess

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
there are legitimate reasons for an auto.

No one cared on the focus but for some reason people keep saying when they find out the Mazda is a manual "I thought this was an auto" lol

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
as far as I know mostly every foci here is a auto which brings a 1000$ premium also Do you like to rock your car as the lights about to turn green this is another less nasty habit I've gotten into...I've noticed that almost 5spd guys do this...I think I'm the only 5spd in town too LOL!
Made me laugh. YES! (at least sometimes)
Letting the car roll back a little is the hallmark of having a manual tranny.

If i am 'front' at a light and next to a car that seems 'interested' If I can I will allow my car to roll back slightly. If i see the other person do so, it is fun to know They have a manual tranny too.
I usually do not 'rock' it (repeatedly rolling back and pulling forward.. it is just a waste of the clutch.). though I have done it a few times.

I think it is a pity more Americans are not interested in 'real' driving: REAL DRIVING REQUIRES A CLUTCH!! Driving with an automatic is just like riding on a bus IMO.
manual transmission is everything about shifting when and how "I" want, and not how some device feels like maybe yes, maybe no decides. Or ten seconds AFTER i want it to!

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
My buddy went to trade in his fully loaded '10 SES coupe with a 5-speed and they were going to give him a lot less because of the manual. Needless to say he sold it privately.

If you think 5-speed is funny you should see the look on peoples faces when you say 6-speed. lol!

·
Registered
796 Posts
i have an svt with 6spd but i will let my car rock sometime lol but usually i get to the light and let off the brake and most the time it will stay but if it wants to move i either hold it with e-brake or clutch that way as soon as the light goes green im already on the gas haha

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I dont think many are surprised that its a stick, I got the only one in town that had one.
Just about everyone in my local club has a Manual trans, and everyone is modified. I have yet to see a nicely modded auto in Las Vegas. Even with 2 blown disks in my back, bad knees, a loose ankle and other bad/worn out body parts from my time in the Marines I still would rather drive a manual then settle for an auto. To me its just too boring!
And yes I do rock sometimes at intersections, I dont think there is a flat one anywhere in Vegas. I dont know if Im the only Manual in town or not But I am the only moderatly modified one (sec gen) in southern Nevada (that I am aware of).

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a 5spd, and i have yet to find someone around here with a 5sp focus, i just had a son and went to go look for another car, not only did they say my car was worth less bc it was a 5spd, they had no 5 spds on there lot, seems everyone is going away from 5/6 spds anymore

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can't remember why, but for some reason my wife had the focus and was using valet parking. The kid jumped in and then looked at her and said "I didn't know the Focus came with a stick-shift". She just grinned. Later when she was leaving, she waited and waited....finally the same kid came back on foot wanting to know how to get reverse. LOL. She had to explain the lockout collar to him great detail before he got it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
^^^ ppls reaction to that is pretty funny, ive never really had someone be surprised that its a standard but then when i say 6spd they are like whaaaa

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
if more people drove manuals, there would be less accidents. no?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
if more people drove manuals, there would be less accidents. no?
whats the logic behind that?

I've never had anyone be surprised that my car is a standard. My only requirements when i bought my car was that it had to be a 5sp and 2 door. Sadly manuals will be just keep getting more and more rare, especially with automatics becoming more efficient and faster.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I think what's meant is that people who drive manuals are more engaged in the operation of the cars. You have to pay attention more when your doing all the work. I would like to see some hard data or fact to prove this though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
"I consider Americans' love affair with the automatic transmission to be a national disgrace, symptomatic of our softness as a people. This preference is lazy, unsophisticated and dumbed-down -- as I see it, philosophically inextricable from our lard-butted, couch-potato affinity for junk food, junk TV and celebrity gossip."

-- Gene Weingarten, from an article on the Chevy Volt.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
I think what's meant is that people who drive manuals are more engaged in the operation of the cars. You have to pay attention more when your doing all the work. I would like to see some hard data or fact to prove this though.
exactly. and i would like to see more info on it too if that is the case. from what i've seen (someone tell me if i'm wrong) Europeans go through driving school with manual transmissions. and idk how strict they are with passing or failing. but when i took my driver test, i had to ride with people who were not confident with driving, i even ended up asking one of them if they would drive a manual. her answer "its too much work". sure, but that work could help you pay attention more instead of cutting into my lane(for example) for no reason. idk if that really relates, but if it helps, i even find myself missing a few things when i drive the windstar around. but thats just me. proof would be nice.............................................

but anyways, yay for people not knowing manuals are an option in a focus [clap]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts