Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 ZTS w/ manual. Engine is hesitating/missing during lugging conditions, pretty much in any gear. Give it too much gas at low RPM and it just doesn't like it. This started a couple of months ago. I haven't (yet) started throwing parts at it but due to regular maintenance recently it has new plugs, fuel filter, air filter and I did put a can of Seafoam through it. Compression is perfect, 170 even on all four.

Today I went around a long freeway on ramp (bit low on fuel) and it REALLY missed a lot out of the curve, like it was starved for fuel. In the past, when I did this, it would maybe miss/buck a few times but this took about 20 seconds.

Overall the mileage and power seems to have dropped a bit as well.

Any thoughts? Low fuel pressure? Dirty injectors? I did a search and found a few posts that were close but no right-on to this condition.

Thanks,
BB

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
... Engine is hesitating/missing during lugging conditions, pretty much in any gear. Give it too much gas at low RPM and it just doesn't like it...
Today I went around a long freeway on ramp (bit low on fuel) and it REALLY missed a lot out of the curve...power seems to have dropped...
Symptoms of fuel starvation caused by failing fuel pump or severely clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Symptoms of fuel starvation caused by failing fuel pump or severely clogged fuel filter.
Okay, definitely makes sense, the car has 210K. The fuel filter was recently replaced. Is there an easy way to test the fuel pump pressure?

Thanks,
BB

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Is there an easy way to test the fuel pump pressure?
For an intermittent problem while the car is in motion, not really. The best method is data logging using an external device such as an SCT Xcal scanner that plugs into the car's OBDII port. You can then see real time data as the problem occurs.

The Focus is not equipped with a Schrader valve on the fuel rail so a pressure gauge cannot be easily installed.

Your car's year of manufacture was known for dodgy pumps/internal filters. You can Google/read up on "Ford 03N01". The extended coverage period has since expired but the descriptions of the symptoms may prove useful in attempting to isolate/confirm the cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts