Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
The OEM battery there best be around a 500 CCA one or more.

Depending on the further extension of the cable to the alt, some can fray the cable just past starter to then lightly rub the engine block to do a light short that can do it too. The earlier ones did it and BTDT too.

The positive battery cable setup on these cars is the worst I have ever seen, way undersize to cause fires in some cases, and run and retained in ways to cause future issues. I replaced both mine on two cars with big jumper cable that was modded to fit and zero issues since doing it. At 1/3 the cost of the Ford part. Ridiculous. They even managed to screw up the battery terminal design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car does the exact same thing. About a second delay after you twist the key, the starter engages. Always exactly the same. I'm in Hawaii so the temp doesn't fluctuate much, but I honestly don't believe temp has anything to do with it.

After the second, when it cranks, it cranks great. This is a 2001 with under 35,000 miles. The cables and connections are perfect. The battery is new. It's not voltage or amperage related. It's almost like the computer is checking systems before sending 12v to the starter relay.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My car does the exact same thing. About a second delay after you twist the key, the starter engages. Always exactly the same. I'm in Hawaii so the temp doesn't fluctuate much, but I honestly don't believe temp has anything to do with it.

After the second, when it cranks, it cranks great. This is a 2001 with under 35,000 miles. The cables and connections are perfect. The battery is new. It's not voltage or amperage related. It's almost like the computer is checking systems before sending 12v to the starter relay.
In my case it is temperature related. No hesitation since the warm up and my previous SE was the same way for all the years I owned it(except of course it always started). Probably forget about till next winter and then go....oh ya this again. Maybe I can figure it out next time before the summer.

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
Not the computer checking things, that is pretty much instant. It should not hesitate at all. I have two of the cars and they NEVER do it unless there is a volt supply issue of some kind. Here in the Texas summer.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts