Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Focus ZTS with 5 Speed manual transmission Zetec-I 2.0L (120k) first started showing hesitation problems 2 years ago but no CELs. Over time it got worse especially after a cold start and doing gear changes during acceleration. Pushing down on the gas pedal made it cough and choke until it got warmed up and reached cruising speed. Sound familiar? Like many people, I tried all of the routine maintenance procedures first like replace fuel filter, tune up to include new spark plugs and wireset, and even replaced the DPFE sensor, timing belt incl. water pump but nothing fixed the problem. I became aware of the fuel pump recall so I replaced it too - still no help. Well vacuum leaks seems to be a popular suggestion as a possible cause for this sort of problem so we replaced several and checked them often but still didn't fix the real problem. I made friends with a good dealership mechanic (Chevrolet) who did a lot of the work after hours I mentioned and he was stumped too although we had some ideas what it could be (keep reading) but it would cost money and we might be wrong - basically I was cheap, stubborn, and unconvinced by what many suggested already in this forum. Then it got so bad, the speedometer started jumping in sync with the sputtering and it sometimes stalled. So off to the Ford dealership to pay for their more sensitive diagnostic test (Cost = $102). Answer: Bad Ignition Coil. The dealership offered to replace it for $360...Ha! No thank you but thanks for the quick diagnosis. New coil cost $80. Replaced it myself in 15 minutes. PROBLEM FIXED! Car drives like a little hot rod again. There are lessons to be learned here. You can take a chance and go directly to replacing the ignition coil and I apologize if that didn't do the trick, or try everything else under routine maintenance, replace vacuum hoses, and/or replace other possible equipment like fuel pump, DPFE sensor, etc. or just take it to the dealership and get that darn diagnostic test done. Good luck fellow focus fanatics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few other things I had tried that did NOT fix the problem: cleaned throttle body, cleaned fuel injectors, added fuel treatments/fuel injector cleaners and started using only good "Shell" gasoline. The funny thing is I thought I had fixed the hesitation/sputter problem many times because it didn't act up until some time later. That's just mean.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yup. Was having similar issue. Never stalled, but almost always had a hesitation or stumble around 40mph. Random chugging until 3500rpm, but always screamed to top of tach. Did all the same, until it just dropped #3 one day. New coil, and whamo! Butter.

Glad to hear all is well again. Don't fret, you've done all the maintenance now so you have more time to enjoy your focus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Phillabust,

Yup, that's the part you want. Excellent price and hope it works for you. My car is still going strong since I replaced mine. I might just replace the ignition coil pack each time I replace the plugs and wireset for good measure. Let us all know if it does the trick.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Your model uses a "coil pack" so that part is correct.

The one you posted claims to fit, thought I'm not sure of that picture matching. See if it matches yours, and question whether it's a generic picture if it doesn't.

P.S. - oops, two typing at once!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sometimes it's just worth it to have the dealership do all the investigative work for you. I can understand why you did that. There's so many possible causes for something like that sometimes it's worth having someone else figure out the problem for you.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Cheap coils are cheap. I bought a $40.00 coil and it lasted less than a year.

Use a Motorcraft coil. They last and are the best.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Check the coil harness, too. I know, I tell everyone with a first-gen Focus the same thing, but I had problems with it on both of my Foci. The first time I replaced a coil that was perfectly fine when it was the wiring plug that was the real issue...because the dealership told me it was a bad coil. I'm not saying they knew better, only that they sold me an expensive part that I didn't need.

Mine had a small crack in the middle green wire, right at the plug. Easy to miss, but enough that it caused random misfires.

$15 would buy a lot of Motorcraft coils...so your choice of spending more and not having to replace as often (if ever) or spending less now and replacing occasionally. Your call.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to bring up an old thread, but I am having similar issues.

Sometimes on the low end, it feels like a two-step (hesitation).
I noticed this a ton on the top end around 50-60mph.
I drove as if I were going to pass someone and the RPM's would go up, but the car itself was hesitating. Currently not safe to pass anyone on the highway.

Thought it might be transmission-related, but I'm very confident that the coil is a bit old.
Ordered a new one today, cheap enough to replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2002 Focus ZTS with 5 Speed manual transmission Zetec-I 2.0L (120k) first started showing hesitation problems 2 years ago but no CELs. Over time it got worse especially after a cold start and doing gear changes during acceleration. Pushing down on the gas pedal made it cough and choke until it got warmed up and reached cruising speed. Sound familiar? Like many people, I tried all of the routine maintenance procedures first like replace fuel filter, tune up to include new spark plugs and wireset, and even replaced the DPFE sensor, timing belt incl. water pump but nothing fixed the problem. I became aware of the fuel pump recall so I replaced it too - still no help. Well vacuum leaks seems to be a popular suggestion as a possible cause for this sort of problem so we replaced several and checked them often but still didn't fix the real problem. I made friends with a good dealership mechanic (Chevrolet) who did a lot of the work after hours I mentioned and he was stumped too although we had some ideas what it could be (keep reading) but it would cost money and we might be wrong - basically I was cheap, stubborn, and unconvinced by what many suggested already in this forum. Then it got so bad, the speedometer started jumping in sync with the sputtering and it sometimes stalled. So off to the Ford dealership to pay for their more sensitive diagnostic test (Cost = $102). Answer: Bad Ignition Coil. The dealership offered to replace it for $360...Ha! No thank you but thanks for the quick diagnosis. New coil cost $80. Replaced it myself in 15 minutes. PROBLEM FIXED! Car drives like a little hot rod again. There are lessons to be learned here. You can take a chance and go directly to replacing the ignition coil and I apologize if that didn't do the trick, or try everything else under routine maintenance, replace vacuum hoses, and/or replace other possible equipment like fuel pump, DPFE sensor, etc. or just take it to the dealership and get that darn diagnostic test done. Good luck fellow focus fanatics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone had the same problem, flat spot on acceleration, 3 mechanics said 3 different things, all totally unrelated to the issue, so went for the cool pack and solved the problem, as the other guy said watch your speedo mine flickered a few times as well, after replacing coil pack no flicker, hope this helps,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts