Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fact: My Automatic 2000 Focus Mods Are > 4 into 1 Race header w/ flex, Ford Racing Cylinder Head w/ FR stage 2 Cams, Focus Central Cam Gears, 2.25 inch Bosal Catback, Screamin Demon Coil w/ Livewires, Cold Air intake, Sct Chip & Dyno Tuned.

With all this all I made on the Dyno was 125 Whp & 115 Wtq. I spent lots of $$ and really did not get much of a gain.

I Dynoed at McNews Automotive which charged me lots of $$ and did an ok job. I would rate them at about an 7 out of 10

I have 17 inch rims which are pretty heavy so I am planning to go with a lightweight rim, to see if that helps. I also need to ballance my tires but how much of a difference will that make. Eventually I want to go FI (powerworks). That is one of the reasons why I did not raise the compression, but I am not sure it is worth going FI anymore. Ray at McNews said that I shoud get about 180 Whp which is not even close to the 220 advertised by powerworks. I always hear about people claiming to get 150, 160 whp and know I am starting to wonder how they got there if it is the truth.

Overall, I love my focus but I am just not happy with the results.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/TainoE/Dyno.jpg

·
FF Affiliate
31,522 Posts
Keep in mind that compression is the #1 factor in HP/TQ if you didnt raise the compression to match the performance parts dont expect much of a gain

Turbos love the ATX drop the idea of the PW and go turbo it will put a smile on your face and i guarantee you you will then be happy

Tom

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
well congrats on the mods n all..but what exactly were you expecting outa ray? you have auto with basic bolt ons and cams, only so much you can do with that man..good luck on the boost, have you taken it to the track yet?

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
yeah dude, i second going turbo. There is nothing quite like the sound of 15psi of intercooled boost being force fed into ur small engine...well, except more boost...lol..

also, one thing to keep in mind w/ ur car and mods.
1st off, u have an automatic which has greater drivetrain loss when stock than a manual.
2nd the people u hear claiming 160+ WHP have increased compression to go w/ thier cams.

w/ ur mods and IF u had a manual or at least a beefed up ATX, u'd be in the 145+ WHP range w/ almost as much torque. Now if u would have opted for the higher compression w/ the head u got, u'd be in teh 160 range depending on how radical ur CR got. But u didn't because u have a plan to go FI which is undestandable.

ane last thing, i'd take any advertisements, and sometimes shop advise or predictions w/ a BIG grain of salt.

have fun!! :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
breakaway,

The only reason I did not post the Dyno chart was because I am so dissapointed with it. I will post it later today.

Tom,

Any suggestions on what turbo to go with?

fokuzx3,

I Haven't been to the track yet. I was planning to go but I don't feel my focus is ready yet. I am not downing Ray. He did what he could. I just think he was a bit expensive. Also there are a few things with my tune that he still neets to tweeked.

lanting90,

What Turbo do you recommend?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Hey, I had a 2000 ATX that I put a lot of mods on. After I lost it, I saved up and bought a 2001, all I did was put on my steeda intake and FR Plug wires and DAMN the car could easily take my other focus that had way more mods.

I'd say since 2000 was the US debut of the focus, it has a lot of not-so-good engineering. If you upgrade to a newer one, you will notice a HUGE difference. At least I did.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What's the point of Posting a description of "Here are the Facts! A must read! Dyno Resuts!" if you're not going to Post any numbers or the dyno?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toolman,

I did post the Numbers! I will post the dyno chart later today!

xp0s3d,

Sorry, I don't buy it. There are no major differences between the 00 vs 01 if any at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Opps sorry about that there was an error in the way I typed it in and it was not showing up. Original post is fixed now.

Here is what was missing:

"With all this all I made on the Dyno was 125 Whp & 115 Wtq. I spent lots of $$ and really did not get much of a gain."

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Another factor is that atx trans. They rob alot more power than the mtx does.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
Just a word of caution.

If you decide to go turbo or any other FI making over 150whp, make sure it's tuned accordingly for your stock ATX.
Otherwise, bye bye tranny.

I believe the PW numbers for the ATX are lower than advertised because it can't handle as much as the MTX tranny. The PW MTX has been dyno'd around an adverage of 220whp/180wtq.
Also, PW developed a safe tune for the stock ATX with some decent power.
You probably won't see the PW numbers from other FI kits if you use the stock ATX tranny.
I'm mean, just look around, how many Focus cars/people with a stock ATX have FI with decent gains?

If you want to fork out some cash for a tranny upgrade, then go for the turbo or other FI solution but make sure the tune is good/safe for the tranny.

Good luck

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
Let me say this before someone else does...
"Get the FI kit with the biggest hp/tq increases regardless of the consequence your engine may face because you need your extension to be hugh." [:)]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Yes the Atx does rob some power. I am aware of this. When I get close to 150 Whp then I will upgrade the tranny. For now the tranny is fine. I still expected better results.

Goat, I am going with 16 inch rims that weigh no more than 15 lbs. I beleive that the stock rims are heavier than that.

I am not sure what type of Dyno Mcnews uses.

My Focus has mor power but I am still not satisfied!

I need more power! I think I am also going to upgrade my exhaust to 2.5 inch. The only problem with that is will it be too loud?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm also one of the not so lucky ones who wants more power from their ATX focus. I have a 2.5 inch exhaust, but it's just the cat back (at least for another week or two), and it is not too loud at all. I'm not sure how loud it will be when I put on a header/flex.

You'll definately want to be careful foing FI on the ATX, it is not the most...um, capable transmission out there. Just as a side question-does the car feel a lot quicker? Just keep thinking that there is room to improve and look forward to it....

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Eh...man...honestly I hate to be a burster of the bubble but you're gonna need to do a lot of stuff and spend a lot of money to do what you feel like doing to your car...I say if you can fare without a car for a month part out your aftermarket mods and sell your car...get an '01 or '02 zetec with manual transmission and you will be able to get a lot more power out of it and there are SO MANY MODS for the zetec it's ridiculous! Just save your money and don't beat a dead horse...

Sorry again not tryin to be a dick!

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
O...I'm a retard...I came to this thread a different way and didn't see that it was in the zetec section so I thought you had the SPI motor....Anyways I still hold true...get a hatchback with a 5 speed man!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts