Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know i just bought my first focus and love it to death. I have a zetec se....but this isn't where the question come into play. I let my buddy drive it and he loves the focus as well. I found what i think is a pretty good deal on an SVT but.....not being fimalar with them asking u guys what u think.

2002 Red SVT
Possibly lowered
After market tires...forget make already
Dash Painted Red...good job too
Cracked Body kit....hit "20 lbs groundhog" according to the seller

History:Guy is in the Marines and doesn't use it anymore i have seen it sit out by the road for about 3 months now. Hasen't drivin it for at least that long maybe longer. Took it for a test drive.....tires shakes real bad about 65 mph. I think a wheel balance/ aliment might be in order. He has had it for about a year. He bought it from a guy in Detroit.... I'm kinda worried about that. Not making any stereotypes or anything but still have to wonder.

He has had it out there for $7,200....just lowerd to $6,400. He said the lowest he would go was $6,000. My thinking with the Wheel promblem thats at least going to be somewhere around 100-200$. And i know the body kit will need new fiberglass so prolly looking at 300...or possibley a whole new one.

I would deffinaltley buy the thing for 5,500$ but it is up to my buddy. So what are the SVT owners take on it????

And....the engine is dirty but looks good oil...fluids and everything looks good from what i inspected.

[thumb] [dunno] [thumbd] <==== just need some yes or nos (need more advice to give him)

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
that is REEEAAALL cheap for an SVT...BUT I dunno about what it might cost to fix a shake if it's more than just a tire balance.........see if they can get it fixed first, before yo buy it....sounds like a slight basket case to me.......I don't like buying cars that are messed up from the start......

·
Registered
96 Posts
see if hell take 5500 for it and after you buy it take it to a tire place and have them align the car, rotate and balance the tires. as for the body kit look in the for sale section they have a couple of stock svt bumpers for sale.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Just have it inspected by a competent and impartial mechanic. If it looks like it's in good repair, and it has a clean Carfax, then it's worth $6K.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
well you also have to remind yourself the wheels might be bent so you might need a whole new set of rims if they don't make that particular type of wheel anymore...but yah take it to a good mechanic like carrera said...he knows :)

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
That is a ton of Miles. Holy crap I only have 25gs. Look it up On KBB.com. It might say its not worth it,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey check out my PM.

Rideout

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
KBB blows, it has almost no real connection to what actually happens in the real world. NADAguides is better, but the best way is to see what like cars are selling for in your area.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The vibration could be from sitting too, the tires may have flat spots. Balance is more than likely, but if its not a balance, new tires are in order. That is serious mileage, I have an 02 with 52k and Im a driving fool!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I agree with the tires possibly having flat spots, I have a 68 Mustang that sits alot and it'll shake going up the road aroud 55-60 as well.

The miles are sorta high BUT the guy may have driving it back and forth from where he was posted at to his home town alot... or maybe he just ran the piss out of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to check the tires and flat spots on them. And mensioning the bent rims....that jogs my mind a little bit. I think i remeber him saying he it a snow drift or something like that and the front rims have a good amount of road rash....But even if you need all new tires and rims....i would think it would still be a good deal for like 5,500...and if they need new tires and rims then prolly get him down to 5,000.

He does have alot of highway miles on it from here...to columbus so that is a good hours drive like everyday so he was prolly putting like 100+ a day for a good year or so......ya that would rack up the miles

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah, but if it's a bent tie rod end, or ball joints you could be looking at a nice repair bill.

He could also have put crappy suspension parts on, like ebay springs... or even cut his stockers. THere are a lot of SVT drivers out there who put crap mods on their focus.

Take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
+1 on the mechanic, it shouldnt cost too much to have it looked over once pretty well, then you'll know if he hacked the springs, and the ride shakes cause the damage was REALLY from hitting a curb sideways at 25mph, bending the tie rod.

For example.

Mileage is high yeah, but the price reflects. I ticked over 43,000 on my 2004 SVTf earlier this week, it happens. High mileage SVT's havent been really proven yet, I dont know anybody on this forum with over 100k, but it SEEMS like if the car's gonna start to fall apart, it does it by 60k.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
I third the flat spots. If it has sat for 3 months then the tires probably are. There is no visual inspection that can be done to determine it has flat spots.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm........ i guess i never thought about how well the svt holds up over 100k. so i guess that i one major issue to be debated. It is always good to take it to the mechanic to get any used car to checked out. I know the suspension doesn't ride as nice as mine...which it should about 10000x better since it is the svt but mine only had 19,000 compared to 90000....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The stock SVT suspension is going to handle better than your focus, but the ride WILL be firmer. Especially with the larger, lower profile tires. Your SE should ride more comfortably.

Especially if he does have an aftermarket suspension put in. Lower suspensions will even further firm up that ride.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya i know that.......i will have too look at the suspsion on it and see what it's got but....i don't think it is the supension but going to see what we got anyway.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
WUGcatsvt said:
That is a ton of Miles. Holy crap I only have 25gs. Look it up On KBB.com. It might say its not worth it,
shit ive got 80K on mine, I bought it to drive it[thumb]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Tie rod ends are simple to replace... the hardest suspenion part to change out is the front sway bar.... you have to drop the whole front clip to get to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SVT_BMXer said:
shit ive got 80K on mine, I bought it to drive it[thumb]

Why else would you buy a car anyway??? ha ha ha
i agree with ya..if it's going to hold up drive it till the engine blows [driving] [thumb]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts