Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just picked up my new 2000 zx3 it has the 2.0 zetec with a 5 speed. 134k miles and has been mis treated for the last two to three years. So it has a couple problems I need to address.
1. The battery light is on, the car charges but the power is weird lights dim and flicker. Voltage regulator?

2. The headlights don't work unless you use a makeshift relay that is set to be always on and put it in to turn them on and take it out to shut them off. Ya not doing that, lol. Tried a different relay and the only thing that turns on with the switch is the parking lights, fogs won't turn on because it's stuck in high beam mode. I'm changing the broken signal light switch tomorrow I'll post how that goes.

3. I'm going to be looking for a few interior pieces that seem to have grown legs. Rear speaker cover for will be one of them.

4. No power brakes. This really sucks. Vacuum line? Hopefully

Here's some pics more to come. The wheels are getting fixed car is getting painted tuxedo black metallic before it gets licensed.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Moved to the Technical Chat area, you'll get more help here for you problems.

1. alternator is going out or alternator pigtail on the plug needs to be replaced.

2. Try replacing the head light switch and relay and maybe even the turn signal stalk. Also check where the wires going into the body with the rear hatch door. They are known to have breaks in the wire from the hatch going up and down and causing shorts that cause some of the weirdest problems we see in a focus.

3. Check out the BST area or make a Want to Buy thread.

4. Yes check the vacuum line coming off of the brake booster that goes into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'll look tomorrow night. Is a 03 split port alternator the same?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Headlights - The turn signal might help. It could be someone jumped power at the switch. else, check all 4 fuses for them. Or the headlight switch, JY and nab one.

Brakes - should be a vacuum line. Odd though that you don't mention it dying, all the time. The Booster is a very large vacuum leak and will kill the engine almost instantly.
So maybe you have a frozen caliper ...

Alternator - could be related to the headlights. Really hard to say. Some people have done some really stupid things wiring wise on here. If someone followed something wiring wise they found on the internet, odds are it's borked. But if the alternator looks old, it's not a bad idea to just replace it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It runs perfect the brakes aren't sticking there is just no power brakes the brake pedal is so hard to push its crazy

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the headlight switch signal light stalk and fuses/relays out back in my old se sedan. The alternator and battery are supposed to be brand new I haven't looked yet. Fords have weird wiring and this one has been played with a little

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Fords have a little weird wiring, but for the most part it's reliable (save the hatch wiring).
SO LONG, as it's not meddled with. Overloading a circuit, stuffing random wires into the box or uprating fuses is when the electrical complaints really start, some people just don't get it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so the hatch wiring is shot. I'll redo that soon.

I changed the signal light stalk, headlight switch with a know good one, and headlight relay still nothing. Is there a fuse for the headlights also?

Old signal stalk

New one

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the owners Manual witch of course is where they list the fuses. Would the 03 fuse box be the same I have that manual

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Maybe.
They moved fuses around at some point, around that 2003 time I think.

Just go to --> http://www.focusplanet.com/

and grab a manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts