Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 03 zetec 2.0. Car will only run while cables are attached.. does anybody knw wats wrong has anyone had this problem pm me or reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also problems started after a system was installed.. i removed it but i dnt knw if may n=be the battery or maybe an alternator. or was hopin for a cheaper solution

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
"car will only run with cables attached" what cables? battery cables, jumper cables...? is the battery dead? whats the alternator putting out for a voltage?

If your talking about the car only running when its being jumped then its likely that the alternator is not functioning correctly. there are numerous threads about alternator issues. Use the search function.

What you can do is replace the battery, its dead, replace it now (if its only a couple years old, try charging it). Then try to start the car, connect a multi meter to the battery and see what the voltage is, should be around 13.5-15 volts. 12 volts means its not charging and there is a issue with the alternator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yea jumper cables.. The cars now a days as u knw dont have a battery gauge in them any more which is stupid if u ask me.. the battery is not a factory one as ford puts in motorcraft.. the one in there now is a exide that was manufactured in 2007 .. i think it may be the battery.. it will run while jumper cables are on u can take them off and soon as u turn on anything esp lights.. car will dye.. it did this once the other day and i had it jumped off, and it ran fine for a couple days.. but i have also jus noticed when i took the battery out of the car the neg. post was bubbling on the post itself..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you tried another battery in it? I had the same issue a couple of years ago. The original battery would load the system down and as soon as the jumper cables were removed it died. I had to let it run connected to the other car for about 5 minutes till it would stay running, once the battery was replaced it has'nt given me any problem since. If you are lucky like I was it has'nt fried the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts