Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this is my first time posting on here. I've had tons of issues with my 2003 focus zx3 manual but this has been the most aggravating. So when i drive around a lot and make some stops or long drives on hot days, when I go to start my car up to leave it doesn't start, it tries to but won't. I have to wait about half an hour for it to start back up again and then no issues after. I've been trying to figure out why this is happening. My car overheated last summer on a long drive and i replaced a part and hasn't overheated since so idk what to do

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat for repair hints, you can find more info. in this section.

"Test Center" is for experimentation with Forum tools, test posts only to see how things like
this is a quote
or smilies [:0][joke][welcome] work, as well as more advanced tools etc..

Just WHAT you repaired before, as well as how it acts when it won't start (cranks?, any sputters at all?) could be useful information for guesses and suggestions on checks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what part was replaced but it was a small tube like piece, kinda rubbery. And it sounds like it normally does when it starts up, just doesn't actually start

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Couple things for easiest first checks when it won't start, you need to check for spark to see if electric goes away from a hot part and if you have that the quickest second test for a possible flooded condition is to floor the pedal and see if it starts up then after a few turns.

Either is to give trouble shooting answers for a start toward a fix.

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
How about......................spark plugs?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I was saving that for the next step, too complicated and needs more tools....

Hoped it was already known or youtube could help.

The safest is buying a cheap pocket inductive spark tester, a small pen like item you can use by laying one end along a plug wire and looking at the window in the side to see if the neon light flashes while cranking it.

A little more buys an inline tester you can hook up between the coil & wire.

A plug wire can be loosened in it's connection at the coil to see if you can hear the spark jump (snap/tick sound), but you might have to lift it a little to get it right and without an insulated tool it's too easy to get zapped (ouch). Tool free but takes a LITTLE experience, at least knowing where the connection is and how to disconnect/leave partially loose.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
I'm not sure what part was replaced but it was a small tube like piece, kinda rubbery. And it sounds like it normally does when it starts up, just doesn't actually start
im not trying to be mean but take a look inside your engine bay, there are quite a few things that match the decripiton you just gave... feel free to post pictures here. you can upload them to imgur.com or a similar site and link them here. you can use paint to draw circle on what you replaced/have questions on/ etc etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts