Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, i've looked around, asked people at auto x, googled, etc. But still have some questions.

Currently have a K&N filter, borla cat-back, and steeda rsb.

Here's my questions...

1. I'm on these oem 16s with junky all season tires. I know I can change to wheels within diameter of 1, but could I get some oem 17s or 18s and would that be considered stock? I'm more so concerned with not being allowed to change width. I believe these 16s are 6in width, so I would have to use a 17x6 which sounds terrible. That's why I want oem 17x7s.

2. I see I can change to upgraded struts and shocks but not springs. Can I use springs from a Titanium handling pkg car? Or from a 12 SE sport which I believe is the same? (13-14 sports like mine didn't get that).

3. Brakes. Can I really only upgrade pads? I would love to bolt on some ST take-off front brakes. I doubt i'm aloud but it's worth a try, right?

I think that's it...for now.

Thanks anyone who can help me on this.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
AFAIK its only legal to do if it was a factory option on YOUR car. if you have a 2012 SE sedan and better brakes were available to 2012 SE sedans then its ok. now if you were to take the brakes off of EX: 2012 ST (or possibly a differet trim like TI) that is not legal as its not the same car
IIRC taking ST parts off bumps you to street prepared.

also that guide is a loose base (pretty accurate though), read the official rules for the current year to be 100% sure from scca's site.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess that would make sense... No brakes then.

But wheels maybe. As 17x7s were offered on the SE. So I can probably do that i'm thinking.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Wheels and your se sport shocks are a yes based on same factory option.
Iirc any shocks can be used, why not get koni yellows or bilstein b8's??

also good brake pads, factory blank rotors usually provide the best bang per buck stopping power aside from a BBK IIRC
http://blog.caranddriver.com/performance-brake-pads-compared-hawk-hps-hawk-hp-plus-ebc-yellowstuff/
i would suggest hawk hps as a fan favorite

dont underestimate the power of tires either in helping improve time, mod for mod its going to be the single most important thing you can do to improve time. im sure tirerack has done some reviews on what people like best and MCM (even though i may not always agree with them) put out a decent test on tires vs coilovers on what improves time the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3KmMZ577o
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-blog/best-autocross-tires-for-2015
RE71R is the fan favorite last i heard, but ive been away for a bit.. maybe go ahead and google that

all said and done you'd have legal 1in wider wheels and 1in taller, allowing for a bigger contact patch
shock absorbers (id get a good set, little better than fords package)
a RSB, an important mod keeping the rear end a little more stable
catback, why not?
drop in k&n, why not?
good pads for better braking
and lastly and most importantly, good tires.
(id remove the spare tire and tools because why not? little lighter i guess)

thats a full an useful H Street set up imo
thats my 2 cents, ill wait for others to weigh in

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Alright guys, i've looked around, asked people at auto x, googled, etc. But still have some questions.

Currently have a K&N filter, borla cat-back, and steeda rsb.

Here's my questions...

1. I'm on these oem 16s with junky all season tires. I know I can change to wheels within diameter of 1, but could I get some oem 17s or 18s and would that be considered stock? I'm more so concerned with not being allowed to change width. I believe these 16s are 6in width, so I would have to use a 17x6 which sounds terrible. That's why I want oem 17x7s.

2. I see I can change to upgraded struts and shocks but not springs. Can I use springs from a Titanium handling pkg car? Or from a 12 SE sport which I believe is the same? (13-14 sports like mine didn't get that).

3. Brakes. Can I really only upgrade pads? I would love to bolt on some ST take-off front brakes. I doubt i'm aloud but it's worth a try, right?

I think that's it...for now.

Thanks anyone who can help me on this.
you can use any parts that were optional for your car, sound like 17x7 is. so that is a good choice. you could even -1 that for a 16x7" wheel. depends on the tire that you want.

re: Titanium handling. you would need to esentially convert your car to the full Ti handling package. springs, sways, wheels, steering rack, any interier trim (if applicable). if you did this, you could use the 18x8 wheels or go -1 to 17x8 wheels (with proper offset). this would the best performance, but im not sure how many differences therer are between your SE and the Ti.

the simplest change would be to get the 17x7 wheels with Bridgetstone RE71R tires.

don't bother touching the brakes, except if you want to use an upgraded pad. the rotors and calipers are fine for autox. typically autox is tire limited for braking. heat is rarely an issue.

cat back. ok. a good one drops weight which is more advantage than any power increase.
RSB. definately want.
air filter. ok, but probably doesnt add much.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wheels and your se sport shocks are a yes based on same factory option.
Iirc any shocks can be used, why not get koni yellows or bilstein b8's??

also good brake pads, factory blank rotors usually provide the best bang per buck stopping power aside from a BBK IIRC
http://blog.caranddriver.com/performance-brake-pads-compared-hawk-hps-hawk-hp-plus-ebc-yellowstuff/
i would suggest hawk hps as a fan favorite

dont underestimate the power of tires either in helping improve time, mod for mod its going to be the single most important thing you can do to improve time. im sure tirerack has done some reviews on what people like best and MCM (even though i may not always agree with them) put out a decent test on tires vs coilovers on what improves time the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3KmMZ577o
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-blog/best-autocross-tires-for-2015
RE71R is the fan favorite last i heard, but ive been away for a bit.. maybe go ahead and google that

all said and done you'd have legal 1in wider wheels and 1in taller, allowing for a bigger contact patch
shock absorbers (id get a good set, little better than fords package)
a RSB, an important mod keeping the rear end a little more stable
catback, why not?
drop in k&n, why not?
good pads for better braking
and lastly and most importantly, good tires.
(id remove the spare tire and tools because why not? little lighter i guess)

thats a full an useful H Street set up imo
thats my 2 cents, ill wait for others to weigh in
I should clarify. I would get upgraded struts/shocks (yellows likely). I was actually wondering about the springs from the 12 or Ti handling pkg. As they aren't aftermarket but could be an improvement. But is oem, from a different year, legal?

I will hold off on brakes until I need them, I only have 9700 miles on the car now. But HPS will be my choice, as they were on my mk1 before.

Now wheels and tires would be the first thing to do. For comparison, a 13 focus with summer tires is consistently running 3-5 seconds ahead of me. Part of that is driver, no doubt, but I think it shows how bad the all seasons are for this. But most are telling me to run for a while on these tires so I learn the car better. Still will be the next mod, but it will be a bit.

Side note, the cat-back and drop-in were done before I went to auto X. Just irrelevant mods I wanted.

Thanks for the input.

you can use any parts that were optional for your car, sound like 17x7 is. so that is a good choice. you could even -1 that for a 16x7" wheel. depends on the tire that you want.

re: Titanium handling. you would need to esentially convert your car to the full Ti handling package. springs, sways, wheels, steering rack, any interier trim (if applicable). if you did this, you could use the 18x8 wheels or go -1 to 17x8 wheels (with proper offset). this would the best performance, but im not sure how many differences therer are between your SE and the Ti.

the simplest change would be to get the 17x7 wheels with Bridgetstone RE71R tires.

don't bother touching the brakes, except if you want to use an upgraded pad. the rotors and calipers are fine for autox. typically autox is tire limited for braking. heat is rarely an issue.

cat back. ok. a good one drops weight which is more advantage than any power increase.
RSB. definately want.
air filter. ok, but probably doesnt add much.
Sounds like 17x7 is the winner. I won't bother with the complete Ti handling package, was interested in just the springs. Or springs from a 12 SE sport (springs weren't upgraded on my 14 sport, strangely enough).

Brakes will be done when replacement is needed. Cat-back, drop-in and RSB were done prior, just glad i'm aloud to have them.

Thank you for the help.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Short answer as I know it? No. Optional on your year and sub model.

You'll be surprised at how much you have to learn. Don't expect tires to make up that difference.
I concur with the statement of learning on your crappy tires. Maybe once those are completely out you could get better ones.

For the really nice tires my suggestion is to get a different set of wheels. Keeps them lasting longer and is better for your wallet in the long run imo and XP.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short answer as I know it? No. Optional on your year and sub model.

You'll be surprised at how much you have to learn. Don't expect tires to make up that difference.
I concur with the statement of learning on your crappy tires. Maybe once those are completely out you could get better ones.

For the really nice tires my suggestion is to get a different set of wheels. Keeps them lasting longer and is better for your wallet in the long run imo and XP.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Hmm. Will yellows or other dampers still work well with factory springs and height though?

I will be leaving the car alone for a while, maybe the whole season. Until I really get used to it. Then get some oem 17s with summer tires and keep these 16s for winter. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
yellows definately will work.

probably be a bit stiff for the street.

on my current autox car. (Mustang on stock springs with Koni yellows) i dial them back to full soft for street driving, but turn them up for autox.

i dont know if the bilsteins are adjustable. but anyways, some adjustment is nice to balance the car (as there is not much else you can do besides 1 sway bar and tire pressure)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts