Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live close to Port Orchard, Wa and need to replace my timing belt on my 2002 Focus SVT. I dont have access to a garage so I have taken it to 3 repair shops and the lowest quote is $850.00 + tax! Does this sound right? Anyone out here have experiance doing this and would do it for cash for less than I am getting quoted? Any advise or help will be greatly appriciatd!

Car just turned 125k miles so its due.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Its been a long time since I have hax a car that needed a timing belt replaced so I had a bit of sticker shock! An shop you would reccomend that is familiar with the SVT model?

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Post #5 is very misleading, the SVT is a whole another bird when it comes to timing belt, it will bend valves to ruin engine if done wrong and many are. The poster in 5 has no clue of that as the lower level zetec he has will not do that. It can still run though not as good as it should and people like him think they have done something. The SVT engine does not tolerate fools at all on the other hand. It can post error codes if off even 2 degrees in timing.

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,477 Posts
The OEM timing belt tensioner is not made anymore. Furthermore, most shops loosen the timing gears and give you back the car with either the timing too advanced or retarded. I would get on the Focus SVT page on Facebook and find an enthusiast who can help you do it.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
I for one do not buy that the normal zetec tensioner won't work on a SVT. The one pound difference in the tension spring is in no way going to be a make or break difference there.

The suggestion to go to the other page is an excellent one though, the SVT is NOT a normal zetec engine and has to be handled with care.

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wouldn't trust anyone who loosens a crankshaft bolt with the starter. No telling what he does to the camshaft bolts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Pope and his True Church sound the same. Like one guy with multiple personas.

persona: a role or character adopted by an author or an actor

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The Pope and his True Church sound the same. Like one guy with multiple personas.

persona: a role or character adopted by an author or an actor
src153, a member who still has added nothing to the conversation.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
So now it appears you may be calling the OP a liar?

You've proven to be that stupid in the past. (few seconds anyway)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have tried to join Facebook and must have had an old dormant account because they asked for my Washington DL and or Passport for proof of who I am but told me they wouldn't reactivate my account ... not sure why. So if anyone on this board has the time and access to the Facebook NW people who are familiar with my 2002 SVT motor and know a good shop or are willing to let me pay them (I would like to help is possible) I would be very grateful! I really like this car and want to get this right and keep it for the long term.

Thanks to all who are trying to help!

Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live close to Port Orchard, Wa and need to replace my timing belt on my 2002 Focus SVT. I dont have access to a garage so I have taken it to 3 repair shops and the lowest quote is $850.00 + tax! Does this sound right? Anyone out here have experiance doing this and would do it for cash for less than I am getting quoted? Any advise or help will be greatly appriciatd!

Car just turned 125k miles so its due.

Thanks, Mike
I live in the NY Metro Area, NJ. I have kept records on the maintenance of my Twilight Monster since its purchase
{MS Excel sheet by Year and Month of repair/maintenance 2013-2020 now}
02 Ford Focus ZX5 DOHC Zetec 2.0 Vin 3 Auto
20 years / 246,850mi / $1.52 Million in income from my still running/working Twilight monster

Feb 2016 Pep Boys Remove/Replace Timing Belt 345 USD
Timing Belt /Crank Seal Kit 220 USD
Add Time/Access 105 USD

July 2018 Pep Boys Remove/Replace Timing Belt 420 USD
Timing Belt 65 USD

Sounds correct for West Coast higher costs, I get my Pepguard limited extended warranty on labor, and reduces issues/spending going forward. (600 USD for Wa, would be good for 2021)
Also I have a personal/preferred mechanic at PepBoys, very familiar with Ford Focus (ask members in your area for referrals)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in the NY Metro Area, NJ. I have kept records on the maintenance of my Twilight Monster since its purchase
{MS Excel sheet by Year and Month of repair/maintenance 2013-2020 now}
02 Ford Focus ZX5 DOHC Zetec 2.0 Vin 3 Auto
20 years / 246,850mi / $1.52 Million in income from my still running/working Twilight monster

Feb 2016 Pep Boys Remove/Replace Timing Belt 345 USD
Timing Belt /Crank Seal Kit 220 USD
Add Time/Access 105 USD

July 2018 Pep Boys Remove/Replace Timing Belt 420 USD
Timing Belt 65 USD

Sounds correct for West Coast higher costs, I get my Pepguard limited extended warranty on labor, and reduces issues/spending going forward. (600 USD for Wa, would be good for 2021)
Also I have a personal/preferred mechanic at PepBoys, very familiar with Ford Focus (ask members in your area for referrals)
Thank you for contributing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone who chimed in. I went ahead and had the timing belt replaced along with coolant temp sensor and radiator hoses and the car runs awesome ... steady 194 temp and it goes for a little 4 banger. Car is a blast to drive and gets 26 mpg with the pedal to the metal plus a big grin I cant get rid of. I love it! 😁

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thanks everyone who chimed in. I went ahead and had the timing belt replaced along with coolant temp sensor and radiator hoses and the car runs awesome ... steady 194 temp and it goes for a little 4 banger. Car is a blast to drive and gets 26 mpg with the pedal to the metal plus a big grin I cant get rid of. I love it! 😁
Yeah! Enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts