Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm in desperate need of some help. Today we decided to get out our 93 Cobra for the summer and a little bit of fun. Well, we ran into some problems. . .. First off the car only has 19,000 miles on it and still has the original tires/suspension/ everything. So here's the problem, there's a terrible "wobble" in the car, it's not a shake so that rules out an unbalanced tire. It's more of a side to side motion of the car, almost like you have to fight with it to stay in a straight line. I've got no clue what it is and we don't want to start dumping money into right now without having a clue what it is. any help would be great [thumb]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
So, as you're driving down the road the car turns slightly from left to right and back again, or is it more of a side-to-side rocking that doesn't effect the direction of travel? I'd suspect something in the steering rack, maybe an alignment issue. It could also be something simple, like an underinflated tire or loose lug nuts on one of the wheels.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
it could be the shocks/struts are worn out... my dads 87 gt convert has 4 struts/shocks in the rear.. we had a similar problem, so we changed them, and it fixed it... i dont know if yours is the same though...

could the tires also have flat spots in them? if they are origional tires, and they havnt been properly stored over the past 13 years... they could be bad.. and the fact that they are 13 years old too

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
focuson03 said:
It's more of a side to side motion of the car, almost like you have to fight with it to stay in a straight line.
That makes it sound like an alignment concern. If the car is just drifting like that over the road, kinda slowly turning left or right, then your out of alignment. However, if it is something like the actual CAR is wobbling, that sounds like shocks & springs. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when we store it for the winter, we make sure to lift the car up as to prevent from flat spotting. all the tires have the recommended air pressure and the lugs are torqued to specs. we're going to be taking the car into a local shop probably early next week to have it looked at, we're hoping that it's just the shocks or something else simple.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Good luck man, hope its not bad. Let us know when she gets back. [;)]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Almost can bet its the tires... It could be an alignment issue, just describe it real well to the shop and let them go over it, worth the money to be safe...And drive that nice car some more !!! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts