Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2003 1.6 Ford Focus. Runs a dream but when i go over the slightest of bumps/dips it rattles. I can't make out weather it is coming from the front, rear or all around. The weird thing though, is that when i go over a speed bump it is fine. can anyone help?
Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Might be the front end endlinks that connect to the sway bar mine did basically the same thing. No noise really over speed bumps since the sway bar moves together, etc. Mine were worn when I got the car and had noise and after 2k+ miles one side broke off and noise went away and then I put new ones on and no noise and better handling! :)

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Sounds like bushings and endlinks are failing. Good thing is, it's a fairly easy and cheap fix. Moog, Energy Suspension among others, are good brands to look at when replacing these. My guess as to why You don't hear anything when going over speed bumps is most likely because it's in Your sway bar endlinks as opposed to shocks/struts or springs being the cause of the rattle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Focus Rattle

We bought a 2012 Focus Se back in April 2011. We have been dealing with a front end suspension rattle for 6 months now. We have had the dealership replace an engine mount and strut assembly and still have the problem of rattling coming from the right front suspension at low speeds. We just got the car back from the dealer 2 days ago after having the strut replaced, it took Ford 2 months just to have the parts to replace it. We are very interested in hearing from people with simular issues. We are in Texas which has a lemon law in affect and are going to pursue our options.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 2003 that I am getting ready to put end links on right now. There was a slight noise when going over bumps for awhile, but now it is much worse. Also, if I move forwards, or backwards , from a stop very quickly,, there is a " clunk ." I casn look at the end links & see that they are damaged & worn. I just got some in from Rock Auto for about $20/ea.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a rattle too for about a month, I kept looking everywhere and found that the rear part of my front fender wasn't connected to the fender shroud. (I only heard this through traveling at like 50 mph with windows up.) Just something you could check.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just had this issue myself. Turned out to be the sway bar end links were bad...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had similar noises that were resolved when I replaced the strut and sway bar end linkage. The sway bar end link was completely disconnected when I got the wheel off. I'm sure that was also causing a bit of noise and is generally not good.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
We bought a 2012 Focus Se back in April 2011. We have been dealing with a front end suspension rattle for 6 months now. We have had the dealership replace an engine mount and strut assembly and still have the problem of rattling coming from the right front suspension at low speeds.
Hi lkford,

Are you still having issues after the strut was replaced? Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist.

~Natasha

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
My car seems to have developed a rattle/clunking over bumps in the right front as well; I only have a little over 600 miles on the car thus far.

Suspension noise was a prime reason why I traded my last car in.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My car seems to have developed a rattle/clunking over bumps in the right front as well; I only have a little over 600 miles on the car thus far.
Hi Zillon,

I responded to your other post too, but please private message me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I'll assist with your issues.

Talk to you soon! [:)]

~Natasha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts