Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i fried the powerwire going from my battery to the starter and to replace it i gotta yank the starter. ive got 3 bolts out of the starter and i cant find anymore but the SOB wont come off. am i missing something?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok scratch that part. there was some jerry rigging down there i found but now a new problem. there was a power wire and a ground wire going from the battery to the starter from what i can tell. they were both wrapped in plastic heat sheild. the ground wasnt connected to anything so we just yanked it. now everything is hooked back up but the car wont start. no fire getting to the starter. is there supposed to be a positive AND a negative hooked to the starter or just the power wire.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and the electronics in the car come on the battery is good we tried to jump it just for kicks and giggles and it didnt work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
well looking up a 00' focus assuming its a MT, part# being 3261, you only need ign. and main battery power.

theres afew things you need to look for, burnt studs indicating where a wire might have been loose at one time, or loose studs. thats a bad starter, most shops will not sell you just a soleniod for that unit.

your ign wire comming from your main fuse box, near your battery possitive cable its a shoddy looking break-away clip, you disconnect that and you got no ign power, check that with a test light, key on trying to crank it should be constant on.

and your main power cable comming from your starter to your battery. that should always have 12v battery power, at all times.

if its a manual you also would need to depress your clutch to check for ign power.

if its an auto and your not getting ign power, put your car in nuteral and then try it, if it starts you have a bad saftey switch.

there should only be 2 wires comming off your starter. if theres a ground it should be attached to one of your mounting bolts not to the starter sol.

and as always get a real good look at your cables, bend them flex them look for cracks and or heated areas, and if found replace as nessacary.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
just went through somehting similar and it ended up being the clutch position switch. you might want to check it, just an idea

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do u fix the clutch switch or whatever you called it? im sure everything is connected but it still wont crank.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Assuming your car has Manuel trany, if you look behind the clutch peddle there is a white plunger looking thing that gets pushed in when you depress the clutch. Sometimes this switch develops dead spots so try pushing it all the way in with your hand and then turn the key with the other. MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS IN NEUTRAL or this will end with you hanging out of the foot well and you car skipping around you driveway. I have been told that you can reset this switch by pulling it out a little then pushing it back in but I haven’t tried that myself. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There should also be a large ground cable running to somewhere on the engine close to the starter running directly to the battery. I have mine attached to one of the bolts that hold the starter to the bell housing.

The Clutch Position Sensor is a VERY common problem and I would definately check there first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I removed the top two bolts first ( as directed by manual) then removed the one on the back, this was done from the underside of car ( i placed 2 jacks, on each side, for no surprises) but i cant remove the starter from the car! i loosen the red and black(ignition) wires but it seems very hard to remove the unit from the car, should i remove the wires first, how can that be done if no space is available! any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Did you disconnect the connection at the battery? IIRC the cable is relatively tight so to get it to clear the posts on the starter you have to disconnect the battery and make some play in the cable. I think I had to cut some zip ties as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
THANK YOU ,I have this ....Still wont come out...When i try to start it the starter just spins ...I did find the ground cable to the battery that was eaten(battery acid)) away..I just bought this car a month ago.....i did'nt notice it when i put new battery in.......

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I admit - I didn't read the instructions above.

But when I did the starter on the ATX SPI, I ran into a similar slow down.

What it turned out to be for me was the battery/starter cabling and the bracket that bolts the cabling to the transmission housing.

Even when the bolt for the bracket/starter is removed the bracket holds the cables tight so the starter won't pull out from the flywheel. Make sure you slide the bracket, top side on the transmission, up and away from the transmission. If your battery cables are still attached to the starter this is a likely problem area for removal.

Again this was on an ATX SPI - your application may be different but probably not by much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts