Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I hope this is in the right place if not i apologize.
I have just bought a focus st170 2003 after taking for a test drive all was good paid my cash and headed off home.
Car felt a bit sluggish after about 30 minuets of driving. pulled off the motorway switched off and re started car ran perfectly again for about 15-20 mins then as you accelerate the car looses all power in all gears even at low revs. place the car in neutral and rev and its struggles to reach 2000 revs if you keep your foot on the accelerator the car will just cut out and then very hard to restart. leave the car 5 mins and it starts first time and runs perfectly then the same again after driving for 15-20 mins. No management light comes on, happens with a full tank off fuel all the way to empty. the car has done 120k miles.

I'm lost just don't understand why it will drive perfectly then just run like a hillman imp.
I hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction.
Many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Our version in the US/Canada is called an SVT, but I'll move this to the General Tech Section for more help with your repair question.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Coil pack is a common problem with the zetec engines (ST170 version as well).

If you look it all over & see any cracking that's a typical sign of one that's deteriorated. Might only show on the base, so you need to remove it for a full check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All
Bit of an update to my question previously. A friend of mine has a code reader he came round today plugged in the reader and no codes where logged.

Any advice and comments would be most grateful.

Going to remove the coil pack tomorrow and inspect.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Bud, I have a friend that is hot on most focus problems and in the UK too! So far i have found this site to be an awesome place for help. Ill contact him with your problem and get back to you :)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
change your fuel filter recently? check pressure on your Fuel pump

check the alternator and ignition coil pigtails these are known fault pointsFord made upgraded pigtails.

Check the ignition coil for cracks on the bottom.
Check Spark plugs and Gap at .055
Have the battery cables been changed out at all in your car? They are know to corrode inside the cable and if never done you might want to change out the set it will fix a bunch of electrical gremlins.

report back once you check all of these

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like he said check the coil for cracks if it doesn't have any you may take it off and check resistances with a multimeter. I can't quite remember the resistance numbers but you could find them with some searching. Btw is it more of a stutter/cut out, or a smooth no power pull (if I can even say that lol) .

Probably not bad gas, other ideas would be front heated o2 I had a problem just like this and it was the o2 sensor, but you probably would have gotten a code. You might check the cigarette lighter fuse and the o2 sensor fuse.

Sorry about the bad luck by the way :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Guys
Thank you for our responses, i am just waiting for replacement parts to arrive then i will get back to you to see if they have cured the problem.

Nixed it feels like a stutter and no acceleration and if you keep our foot on the accelerator it will just die and cut out. even if you knock it into neutral
And try and rev the revs just die and it cuts out.

I have a new fuel filter , Maf Sensor , Plugs & leads on order hopefully will be here in the next day or so.
Checked fault codes again today and still not showing any faults.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Everyone.
Latest update.
Changed the fuel filter Car still the same.
Changed the Maf sensor Car still the same.
Changed the coil pack Car still the same.
Changed spark plugs and car seems to be running like a dream doesn't seem to miss a beat. only thing i can put it down to was one of the plugs was breaking down intermittently when it got hot, funny thing is it didn't feel like a misfire fault this probably why their was no codes recorded.

So fingers crossed i will update you all again should the fault return.

I must thank you all for all your help and suggestions. I am very very greatful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts