Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing the Ford Racing cruise control kit (#M-9818-F203) for 2000-2004 Zetec Foci, and now it doesn't want to work. I followed the instructions precisely, and the unit is getting power (at least at the fuse.) All of my connections are solid and any plugs/splices have been taped together. I'm wondering if my ECU needs to be flashed to tell it there's a cruise control module attached...? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance [thumb]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was $399 plus sales tax since I picked it up directly at the Summit Racing showroom/warehouse in Tallmadge, Ohio. Total out the door was $425 or so. The kit is well put together, it has pretty much everything you'd need other than tools. The instructions are pretty easy to follow, they're the usual "written on a 5th grade level" for mechanics who may have not made it to middle school.

I'm on the phone with Ford Racing's tech line (on hold, of course) to see if I need to get the computer flashed or if there's any known issues.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just pulled all of the panels back apart and checked the wiring, and still no good. The guy I spoke with at Ford Racing's tech support line didn't know anything about the kit, but he took down my information and told me the guy who handles things like the cruise kit would call me back on Monday or Tuesday. It beats the hell out of me why its not working...I checked the ground, and every connection is solid. I'm starting to lean towards a defective cruise actuator/computer/motor.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...classify this under "you're the biggest idiot on the face of the planet."

I pulled the driver's side wheel and fender splash shield out tonight and got the volt meter out and checked the wiring, and everything was OK. So at that point I was figuring it was a defective actuator, but on a hunch I got the directons back out and went over everything, and it turns out that I spliced the wrong wire for the speed sensor. The wire in the speed control harness is white/green, and the wire in the car harness is white/purple but I just matched colors and spliced white/green to white/green. And now it works perfectly.

Overall the install was pretty easy start to finish, I skipped drilling a hole into the cabin and just ran the wires out through the rubber stopper on the hole that would be used for power locks and windows (if you have power locks/windows you could just cut a slit in the boot to pass the wires out through, although I'd think that if your trim level included power locks and windows you'd have cruise control as well.) If you don't have speed control and want it, I'd definitely recommend this kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts