Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello me and my girlfriend are extremely tight on money right now. Ford is trying to charge us $500 to replace our brakes...

We live in Breckenridge, CO so we have lots of hills to contend with. This just happened overnight.

When we brake we hear a metal on metal grinding noise coming from the front brakes. It has gotten to the point now that even when we are not braking I get a grinding/squeeking noise when i drive... Is this normal? Do I have more damages that I do not know about?

I am currently looking at these right now http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

Do you guys reccomend a particular brand or a place to go shopping for pads and rotors?

Do I need to replace my rear brakes too? Or can I hold off for another 2 months?

Last, any good tutorials you folks can reccomend?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it's just the wear squealers letting you know it's time to change the pads, just do the pads, get them from autozone or the like, even if the rotor is grooved a bit, the pads will wear to them. as long as the rotors are not warped or really dug into, just replace the pads, you can get the cheapest pad for as little as 25 bucks. Changing pads is super easy with normal tools and a C clamp

·
Registered
60 Posts
Autoanything seems to have good prices, but you have to wait for them, and if your rotors are still good, better off to just get the cheap pads and get it done. Also, the rear breaks do wear as fast as the front, so they are probably still fine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome... Where Im from we don't have a huge selection of auto stores. They don't carry my rotors so i figured I would just order it. If its just the pads than sweet I can take care of it... Ford tried telling me my rotors are warped and that if I only replace the pads my car will be destroyed...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis for future reference.

As mentioned, even when pads are worn to steel & have damaged the rotors replacement of the pads will do for a quick fix.

Won't last as long as pad/rotor replacement, but unless the rotors are badly damaged it'll last a long time & you can "do it right" with pads & rotors the next time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You drive a 2013 and you already need to replace the pads? How many miles on this vehicle? I just pulled the pads off my 2010 @ 71k miles and there was still a lot of pad material left. Venture to say I might have made it 100k.

Guess the hills there are brutal on pad wear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4 times a day I climb and descend 2500 ft... we have lots of tourist so everybody drives extremely slow and ride there brakes around every single turn... or just the whole time... not counting all the times we drive to Denver and back and over Hoosier pass and swan mountain... so yeah 55k is a long time where I live...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts