Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new to this message board, I just decided to go american and so i bought a 5 speed 01 focus zx3. Three days after i bought the car the check engine light comes on, i started feeling a loss of power going up hills aswell, I used my reader and found out the code is p0401 which is exhaust gas recirculation flow, insuffient detected. I know you guys cant give me a actual solution with out seeing the car but does Anyone have an idea of what this could be or what i should check first? i apreciate it alot, and also does anyone know where i can get painted calipers??? i've been looking all over!! thanks again everyone.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,104 Posts
Check out this thread....Has some very useful information....I Linked him to another site, just i don't feel like posting the info again.

Clicky Clicky

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
Do our cars have a DPFE Sensor. That is Delta Pressure Feedback EGR or something like that.

I know for the Taurus when this code pops up that sensor is 90% of the time the root cause. Non-the-less what works for one car may or may not work for another. Somebody else may know better than I.

Edit: It is amazing when you read the clicky and find out you are right. When the one on my moms 01 Taurus went out it cost like 70 bucks so it is not too bad.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
When I had a Saturn, I had the same problems (at 200k miles). It was the EGR valve. It would stick. I used carb cleaner to clean the hell out of it and never happened again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys are great, i just ordered a DPFE Sensor. It cost me 50 bucks so its worth a shot. Do you guys know if i can purchase a carb cleaner from a local parts store?? any tips on changing it?? thanks alot!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have the same problem here! My car is now at 40,000 miles, for the past 2 months i've been driving around with the check engine light on and poor power. its an automatic, and its almost like its a stick and i cant drive it properly, thats what it feels like anyway. I replaced the DPFE sensor last year with a similar problem thats now the same thing but amplified, 3 months ago i replaced the EGR now im told it could be the pressure sensor? what the hell its becoming a huge pain in the A$$! anyone have any recomendations?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone, I purchased a DPFE Sensor and egr tube, anyone have any tips on installing them?? I keep telling my self "its simple, the egr tube comes from the headers to the egr sensor then to egr valve." I also decided to replace the old headers with new ones, there was prior welding done and it looks like crap. Well thanks for the help and any tips will be helpful, ill do the repairs this weekend and i will keep you guys posted, thanks again everyone! hope this clears the CEL code and give my car the power it desirves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The DPFE sensor is quite easy it just plugs in, I did it yesterday, and my car is running better than ever (granted that for me it is since friday when I got it.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
not to sound like a jerk but be sure to mark the hose as you remove them from the dpfe I always fell bad when i have to charge some one to swap the hoses the right direction after
they install there own part.[rolleyes]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts