Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf's SVT(Shugarl0) threw a cel last night. We stop at advance and the code was P0125 (low coolant temp). I had noticed on a couple of occassions that her oil temp gauge looked as if it wasnt working(needle all the way down). The coolant temp is running lower than mine usually does as well. Is this most likely a thermostat problem or a sending unit on the oil temp gauge that has gone bad. Any advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't have an SVTf, but this should still apply. After running the car until it should be at normal operating temp, feel of the upper radiator hose. If it's hot, too hot to keep your hand on, the problem is probably the sender. If it's not so hot, it's probably a bad thermostat, failed it the open position.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the engine is getting up to temp, so probably the ect or cht sensor, huh?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Even if the engine gets up to temp, it could be the thermostat. The thermostat could be sticky and only failing periodically. You can take the thermostat out, boil it in a pot of water with a thermometer in it. Read the value as the thermostat opens and cycle it a few times (heat up, cool down). If it is working properly, your sensor is bad most likely.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> You can take the thermostat out, boil it in a pot of water with a thermometer in it. Read the value as the thermostat opens and cycle it a few times (heat up, cool down).

Or just spend $10 and replace it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> I'm not a fan of replacing parts that aren't broken

I hear ya', but how many people have a thermometer that reads to 212 degrees?

I agree it does depend upon one's cash flow, but for $8, I would not put a used thermostat back in, considering the time and labor involved... I'd skip a pizza or find another place to save the $8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts