Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my car home from work the other day, and my oil temp gauge is staying at like super hot, and then it happened again today. anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening? im getting kinda worried.

car is an 02 SVT, anyone have this happen before or any ideas to whats going on?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
If you didn't get a warning light, I wouldn't worry about it. The oil temp gauge doesn't reflect the actual temperature of the oil; it is calculated based on driving conditions and coolant temp. Is your coolant gauge showing normal?

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
whoa!!! had it happen and the car went ito limp mode.
coolant gage read normal but my oil temp was pegged. ended up i blew a heater line and lost antifreeze so fast the temp sensor didnt register, but the oil temp did.
id check your coolant first and make sure its topped off. if not, check for leaks, mainly around the thermostat housing area.
if everythings good there, check your oil level. when was your last oil change?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Those aux gauges are just so weird... Everyone on the forums have been saying the oil temp calculates based on the water temp and driving conditions (speed, intake temp, RPM)... I wonder how it pegged before anything else did when there isn't an oil temp sensor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I've seen my oil temp get really high on me, when I sit idle for a while. Water temp stays pretty normal. I turn the heat on full blast when I notice it and it usually gets better.

I will check my oil level, but I just changed it to RP. I will check the fluid level as well. Would a missing heat deflector from the cat cause this to happen. I don't know if mine is still on, since I bought the car used.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
When I changed from dino oil to synthetic, I noticed that the oil temp gauge reads a bit above halfway, really no matter how I drive. I haven't auto-x or gone to a track so no continual strain on the powertrain, just a couple runs against friends cars

·
Registered
111 Posts
I for one believe the oil tmep gauge is fairly accurate. I got a pinhole in a heater hose a few months back and lost all the coolant while the car was sitting outside warming up. It was freezing outside and the oil temp gauge was almost pegged, the temp gauge was just a little above normal.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah I would say that it can't be good to have the oil temp gauge pegged, and I'd try to figure out why it's running so hot asap before any potential damage is done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I were missing a heat deflector from the CAT, would this cause my oil temp to go high when I am sitting in traffic or at a drive thru?

I am a bit concerned, I may have to get an ORP and wrap everything up.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
would this cause my oil temp to go high when I am sitting in traffic or at a drive thru?
Doubtful...there's plenty of folks running around here that have no CAT heat shield.
They either ripped it off when the rattling couldn't be stopped,
or it fell off on the road somewhere once it cracked completely through.

Course, IMHO, I'd rather have the heat shield in place. [;)]

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
well think about this if you get a orb then youll have no shield. i have been missing some of my shields for a long time now with no ill effects..( as soon as they rattle they come off..one by one)

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Had this happen to me earlier today after leaving the failed Chicago SVT G2G. We were leaving the meet up location and my engine temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges were ALL PEGGED!!! I could literally see and hear the coolant bubbling into the resevoir. A couple of buddies helped me out, not that I couldn't do it myself, it's just that they're good like that.

I thru in an extra quart of oil and that helped out since the car just vaporizes the it at those temps. I'm going to flush out the cooling system tomorrow. The antifreeze looks like stagnant swamp water.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You running a synthetic yet bro? Really helps keep the oil temps manageable. I use Amsoil 5w-30, costs a lil more but I feel its worth it for the extra protection. Also, its good you are going to flush the cooling sys, sounds like you may not have the right ratio of water/antifreeze

·
Registered
162 Posts
no, i was one of the "helpers" his coolant is just plain dirty, and time for a flush, my oil temp guage did the same thing for a bit today too tho and im running royal purple 5-30, my water temp also creeped for a bit to, then again, it was also an extremely hot and humid day, i was getting heat soak at stop lights and the car didnt wanna move, driving with a/c on to keep from literally sweating my balls off was impossible until we got out of stop and go.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah our cars don't really like the hot humid days much. I haven't had to use the a/c yet besides to test that it actually worked. But I do notice that even with the A/C off, the car just doesn't have the power it does when the sun goes down and temps cool off a bit

·
Registered
20 Posts
It happened to me today on the way to work. Crazy storm (snow) and I didn't know why my oil temp was pegged. The annoying thing is that the heater cut out at the same time... I don't know if the two are related or not, but I think I'm going to change my oil and coolant tomorrow and make sure everything is topped up. I tried not to let the oil temp stay in the red for too long and it seemed to drop pretty fast if I wasn't on the throttle, when I stayed on it I noticed the water temp started to go up too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Increasing engine temps and a loss of heat is a good indication that you have no liquid in your radiator, or a stuck thermostat.

Even small bypass hoses don't give you much when it's cold enough to snow. (I haven't looked yet, do we even have a bypass hose on the thermostat?)

·
Registered
160 Posts
My cousins 02 svtf did that too
It turned out just to be a stuck thermostat. I would think it could be that. When his car would sit and idle both temps would get pegged and he had it checked out and it was just a lousy thermostat.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My cousins 02 svtf did that too
It turned out just to be a stuck thermostat. I would think it could be that. When his car would sit and idle both temps would get pegged and he had it checked out and it was just a lousy thermostat.
No, it was the fan relay. Only the secondary fan would come on. The main fan comes on when you turn the AC on. The fan relay is a fairly common problem.

My oil temp only went up because the coolant temp went up probably. If the oil temp gauge isn't really indicative of the oil temperature, and only goes on what the coolant temp is saying..

If it's the relay, the engine temp would go up too. Start the car and let it get warm, and listen and find out if both fans kick in. Turning on the AC should kick that main fan into gear no matter what.

Post seems kinda jumbled, but I hope I got to the point eventually...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts