Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the rims on my 02 svtf. I was going to just replace them with the 04 style SVT rims, but then I saw the Kazera KZT rims, which sort of look like the SVT rims, which I like, but they weigh a little over 4 lbs a wheel less, which I understand is a good thing. My question is, are they as strong as the 04 SVT wheel? This is a daily driver (100,000 miles so far and going strong!) I am trying to keep the price down and the Kazera wheels are only $5 more per wheel ($129.00) I would perfer a black rim but can not find one I like near this price.
FYI my SVT is lowerd aprox 1 inch over stock)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looking at tirerack.com I see they're both Low Pressure Cast so I'm guessing they're equally as strong, but keep in mind I'm not an expert. Appears maybe svt rims use more metal, which could make them stronger. If I get 17" rims It'll be kzt's, more than likely I'll get the 16" kzu's though. Good luck, they're a great looking wheel.

Wheel Tech

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
liteweight wheels will be more responsive makig your car "feel" quicker. that said if the difference is big enough you may also see an increase in fuel economy. if you are worried about longevity of the wheels from what i have heard you ought to avoid wheels with lips and spokes help create an overall stonger wheel. have you looked at the kz-s or the svt euros on tirerack? the euros are supposed to be VERY strong.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
you can also get tire that help with rims with a lip but they should be as strong as what you have now

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
but they weigh a little over 4 lbs a wheel less
^^^ No, barely over a pound less.
KZ-T is 19.8lbs (it's also a 17X7.5 while stock is 17X7)
For comparison, see the weights listed in this "sticky":
Ford Focus Wheel & Tire Information

FYI my SVT is lowerd aprox 1 inch over stock
If you're still thinking about the KZ-T wheels, it will be close as far as rubbing is concerned.
A 17X7.5 with a 45mm offset versus the stock 17X7 @ 49mm offset:
Inner Clearance - 2mm less
Outer Position - 10mm extra
You may end up rubbing on the outside edge of the fenders.
The above numbers can be calculated at this site:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts