Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am looking to build a very stout NA daily driver. I have a few questions.
1. What is the maximum compression ration on 93 gas.
2. Is there a better block and crank without goin to the aftermarket. SVT or non SVT
3. What is the best STREET head and cam package.
4. Does a .02 overbore add some hp or is it not worth the money.
5. Will the svt block fit with a aftermarket zetec head.
6. What is a good ignition system to run, not a stand alone, Im using the stock computer.
7. Im going to use #24 injectors, will using the SVT fuel pump help.
I will use all forged internals. All will be light weight and will probably use a balanced crank shaft for extra durability. This will be done when I get the money to rebuild the focus. It is a lil sick feelin at the moment.
This is all I can think of at the moment. I would like to get close to 200 at the wheels. I found a place in ohio that will do all of the work, but its a bit expensive. Im trying to build a Focus that does it all and still has great manners on the street, that is the final goal.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
1. no idea probably around 12 to 1
2. with a street na car..the stock crank and block is fine, just get some eagle rods and je pistons, all of 1100 all together with all neccessary hardware
3. call mcnewsautomotive.com and get him to deck you out an FR head and he wont suggest anything higher than a crane or crower II for street
5. Yes, but #2 tells you of a better setup..the only advantage of the svt block is slightly better rods
6. livewires and screamon deamon coil will work good for any street package, msd ignition works good as well
7. no need with only 24s

on a side note..knock off the 200whp idea with a street zetec..even with a good tune on even more aggressive cams wont get you more than 190, yea its been done before, but not as a street built zetec...a 35 dry shot on top of those mods will get you 200 and be very very safe

what mods are you running thus far if any...what are you into, dragging, autox?

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
1. What is the maximum compression ration on 93 gas.
**On 93 only about 10.6 is MAX

2. Is there a better block and crank without goin to the aftermarket. SVT or non SVT
**The stock block and crank is all you will need for NA

3. What is the best STREET head and cam package.
**The Ford Racing head reworked by focus-power and all the NEW cams seem to be doing about the same

4. Does a .02 overbore add some hp or is it not worth the money.
**Your going to have to buy pistons anyway makeing them .020 wont hurt a thing and they dont cost any more than STD
5. Will the svt block fit with a aftermarket zetec head.
**Yes but not needed spent the money on HP/TQ

6. What is a good ignition system to run, not a stand alone, Im using the stock computer.
**An ignition system isnt needed again spend that money on making HP/TQ

7. Im going to use #24 injectors, will using the SVT fuel pump help.
**To make good power the 24`s could be used but the stock fuel pump will support 280+HP

You will also need a SVT header kit as well as some good tuning done on the dyno

We have complete short blocks (2595.00) or complete engines for (3500.00)

Tom

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to argue with you Tom just a question.
Stock Toyota 4cylinders run 11 to 1 compression, so why cant I run higher than that.

How much hp does your complete engines make.
Also, this is going to be a very long job (unless I find someone who will let me make payments, and we all no that wont happen.) I make decent money for just graduating but nothing amazing. Unless I do a complete engine, each part will be bought seperately until I have everything needed and hire a professional to do everything.

Plans for the car are to autoX, daily driver, and a ocassional trip to a circuit or strip.
Mods on the car now
CAI, 4-2-1 header, 2.5 exhaust and flex, Scremon demon, Tune from hypnotic, and some cosmetic little stuff.
LSD and 4.06 will also be goin on the car. Then bigger brakes and suspension mods.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ill give you some numbers when tom is finish tuning my car. I have a pretty wild set up.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
zetecfreak said:
Not to argue with you Tom just a question.
Stock Toyota 4cylinders run 11 to 1 compression, so why cant I run higher than that.

The more efficient the combustion chamber the more compression you can get away with on lower octane , the Zetec combustion chamber isnt very efficient

Tom

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But, with a new cylinder head and some port work cant you correct that. Im not sure, I know compression is the easiest way to raise HP/TQ. At 10.6 I wouldnt think I would get the kind of power I am looking for.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really high for NA. Would like to see 190 or above in street form with NA. Above that with race gas. Right now im researching the best combos for the lowest price. I know this isnt going to be cheap but the less I can do it for, the more I can do for other areas of the car. Brakes, Suspension, and definetly some LSD.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Here is your first mistake "Right now im researching the best combos for the lowest price." to many people shop around for lower prices and in the end hear this or that will do better and when it is all said and done they have a pile of stuff that wont haul the mail

Your goal of 190HP to the wheels on 93 cannot be done 170ish is about it , Compression is the #1 factor in HP and high compression requires high octane

If you want 190 save your money add a procharger and be done with it , this will cost much less then a built engine

Tom

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe my goal is attainable. Do I build motors for a living, NO. But it dosent hurt to try. If I cant do it then oh well at least I tried. This is what I want and I will try until I have exhausted every option to achieve my goal. I dont have to have exactly 190, that is just a number. A point or to under that is fine by me. Im tired of people saying what you can and cant do. That limits creativity and that is what building cars is about. If all I wanted is speed I would ditch the focus and buy a mustang.

As for researching what does and dosent work, that is a good idea. No, buying random parts is not but buying a proven combo, or improving a proven combo is. I cant just through money at my car like some people can, I cant afford it and have other hobbies and a woman to pay for. If I can save 50 dollars from doing some research thats a good idea. Also, I dont want the usual. I like to be unique and to find something weird or different. Which is why I dont want to go FI. I like FI cars but there not for me. I could easily get 190whp out of a DIY turbo, and cheap to. But that is not what I want. Im only building this thing once. I want it done the way I want. I dont care what it out runs or how fast it is as long as I am happy. That is the most important thing.

Thank you for all of your advice, I do however find it weird that you would claim something cannot be done. It does not seem unatainable to me, but to you it must be. I know your knowledge is far greater than mine but I wont be able to see why it cant be until I myself cannot do it. Thanks though for telling me it cant be done. That has re-lit the fire that started me on this. I know you are just giving me good sound advice but whenever im told "It cannot be done" I instantly want to do it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would like to say i think it MAY be possible to put out 170+ to the wheel with all motor.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
zetecfreak said:
I believe my goal is attainable. Do I build motors for a living, NO. But it dosent hurt to try. If I cant do it then oh well at least I tried. This is what I want and I will try until I have exhausted every option to achieve my goal. I dont have to have exactly 190, that is just a number. A point or to under that is fine by me. Im tired of people saying what you can and cant do. That limits creativity and that is what building cars is about. If all I wanted is speed I would ditch the focus and buy a mustang.

As for researching what does and dosent work, that is a good idea. No, buying random parts is not but buying a proven combo, or improving a proven combo is. I cant just through money at my car like some people can, I cant afford it and have other hobbies and a woman to pay for. If I can save 50 dollars from doing some research thats a good idea. Also, I dont want the usual. I like to be unique and to find something weird or different. Which is why I dont want to go FI. I like FI cars but there not for me. I could easily get 190whp out of a DIY turbo, and cheap to. But that is not what I want. Im only building this thing once. I want it done the way I want. I dont care what it out runs or how fast it is as long as I am happy. That is the most important thing.

Thank you for all of your advice, I do however find it weird that you would claim something cannot be done. It does not seem unatainable to me, but to you it must be. I know your knowledge is far greater than mine but I wont be able to see why it cant be until I myself cannot do it. Thanks though for telling me it cant be done. That has re-lit the fire that started me on this. I know you are just giving me good sound advice but whenever im told "It cannot be done" I instantly want to do it.
What ever its your money im just trying to help you save some of it , you set the rules by saying 93 fuel , compression is the #1 factor in HP/TQ and if you limit the octane you limit the HP/TQ output , I never said i couldnt do it i have made it to well over 200HP to the wheels NA but wasent limited by octane

Your not the first one with this attitude seen it before and ill see it again so step up spend lots of money proove us all wrong

We should have a new section for these guys "Dont tell me it cannot be done" Forum

Tom

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I again apreciate your advice. I know you are trying to help. But, have you honestly attempted what I am going to attempt. If you have why did it fail, why could you not do it? This is what I am asking, I know you need high compression and that high compression means higher octane, but if you can control the timing you can compensate some. I am not arguing, just discussing. If I have offended you I apologize, but all I am asking for is sugestions that will help me achieve my goal.

Secoundly, why the frustration. I am not saying you are wrong, nor am I saying I am right. Just wanting to know why it is not possible, or how to achieve it. I enjoy a friendly discussion about cars, mine in particular, but you are not acting so friendly anymore. I am not out to prove anyone wrong, not the objective. The objective is when I hit the gas I smile more, thats the point. This is not about you in any way. All I was asking you is give me data to prove it can not be done. Not a opinion with the High compression Higher octane bit. Scientific, recorded data that any engine builder can recognize. Then I will change my goal, or study said data until I find a way around the flaws that caused the motor to not make the power I am looking for.

Now as for having a section for these guys "Dont tell me it cannot be done", that is silly. You of all people should premote creativity, a dream, and ambition. I am sure you modify more than just foci, but without any free thinking and need to be different no one would modify them. If all we wanted was to be the fastest we would all pick a different car. I do not want to offend you or sound like a smart ass, I just wanted answers, and from who I dont care. Opinions and facts are all welcome, but arguing is not. I am not questioning your ability, nor the ability of anyone else.

Also, I do not set the 93 octane rule. The government does. It is illegal to run race gas in ohio. This car is and always will be a daily driver.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i hear what u are sayin but to say you want that car to be a daily driver would be in my opinion silly. with that high compression you're gonna need and power ur gonna have that would not be really suitable for a "daily" driver, at least in my opinion. im sure it would be sick to see it on the road but you would just be shellin all kinds of cash for fuel, not to mention how would that pass emissions?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are no emissions testing in southern Ohio, so that is not a problem. If they do ever pop up, I will rig it to pass some how. This motor would actually be almost as fuel efficient as stock. Higher compression actually means more efficient which equals better fuel economy. Once you get on the gas yes fuel economy will suck but bein a daily driver I dont plan on runin the car hard all of the time. I do see your point on not being suitable for a daily driver, if it is not suitable I will bump back on the cams to help with that. I also hope a lower gear will help this problem. I have been told the tune will have to be spot on for this, I have been consulting with a few people.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
hey if you got the money and patience....go for it. :)

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Again you have set your limits by the octane (93) They make unleaded fuel up to 103 and ANY unleaded fuel is legal in any state

Yes i have tryed pushing the limits many time on both the ZX3 and the SVT this isnt opinion this engine is to enifficient to make thos numbers on 93

To build a 11.5 compression engine then pull the timing to keep it from SPK Knock you have killed any power that the extra compression gained you

Tom

·
Registered
743 Posts
I spent $8k (sponsored by saddam) building my engine and tranny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts