Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my headlights today and installed them. I love the way they look. BUT...my driver's side won't adjust. I keep turning and turning and turning that little gold screw and it doesn't even move a little. So i lowered my passenger side so that they're even (mostly even). Right now, when i shine against my garage door, my lights hit about 2-2.5 feet up. Is this good enough? I guess i never really paid attention to my stock lights and where they hit before.

It sucks that the adjuster screw doesn't work. [:(!] Is there any other way i can adjust the beam?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the K2 halos. I got them for $260 shipped. They're really nice. Better quality than i was expecting. The only thing is is that the adjuster doesn't work on the one. I measure the beam last night. Its exactly 2 feet from the ground. I think i get enough light from them. I just wish that everything worked right.

Anyone else have any suggestions on if I can adjust them a different way?
Or can you tell me how high your beam is? I know alot of you just got these lights and i'd really appreciate the input.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I thought mine were broke and I just kept turning the screw toward the passenger side and after about 20-30 turns, it started to adjust. The headlight moves in very small increments and it may take 20-30 turns to get it to adjust an inch. I have the K2 Halo's and when you turn the screw toward the passenger side, the light adjusts upward. Adjusting the screw toward the drivers side adjusted the light downward.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now i'm really pissed. I just went outside to try it again since microtonal said it took him a ton of tries to. I turn the light on and there's all this water on the inside of the casing! F*ck!

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Water or condensation ?

If you don't seal the headlights with some silicon, you will get some fogging/condensation inside near the front of the headlight.

I didn't seal mine and I get some fogging near the front of the headlight when it's raining outside but I haven't seen any water inside the headlight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it was just a ton of condensation. It got so bad that i couldn't see any part of the black plastic. I could only see fog.

I'm going to let them dry and try sealing it. I really hope it doesn't happen again. It was really bad.

Oh, Microtonal, i tried turning that stupid screw atleast 50 times (until my hand started to hurt) and the beam didn't move at all. [:(]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
There must be something wrong because i can't turn mine by hand. I needed to use a wrench to get mine to turn. I had to use a very small wrench to fit in to the tight space where the screw is at. Also, just try turnin the screw the opposite direction to see if it moves.
If you have the light shining on a wall about a car length away, you should see the light move in very small increments. If it doesn't move, maybe the screw came out of the headlight adjust bolt inside..?..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh no, i used a tiny wrench too. My hand just hurt from clutching it for too long. I mean you can only turn the screw so far before you have to readjust the wrench. Believe me 50 turns of that thing takes a while. Anyways, I know its not moving. I adjusted the passenger side light perfectly fine. I brought that down to where the driver's side light is just so that they are even.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
All I can say is if the beam is too low, then turn the screw toward the passenger side and toward the driver side if too high. Make sure that the spocket on the bolt is also moving when you adjust the bolt.

When you have your normal running lights on, are the two inner or two outer bulbs lit ?

It should be the two outer bulbs. If your inner bulbs are on when you have the normal running lights, then they're backwards. The inner lights are the brights. There's a mod to fix this if you need it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When i have my driving lights on, the outer bulbs are burning. I did the mod with the wires that you posted. So that is all hooked up right.

I turned that damn screw a million times now. I keep thinking that if i try it again it will work. I'm a wishful thinker. [;)] And yes, the spocket is turning also.

I get a hell of a lot of condensation in the housing. So, i'm just about to go out and take the lights off and silicon them up. Hopefully this will atleast fix the H2O problem.

I'm bummed that i've had so many problems with the lights. I like them alot, they look awesome on my car.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having so many issues.

I had a problem with one my headlights not adjusting when I turned the screw and like you, I kept turning it day after day for a week and all of a sudden, the light started to adjust. Not sure if it was loose and not catching but I'm glad it now adjusts.

As far as the condensation, my headlights fog up a little right at the very front of the headlights and no more when it's raining or cold. Heck, last night it was snowing and very cold and it made no difference. Only the very front of the headlight was fogged.
I did see condensation right at the front of the headlights when I would look at the headlights after about 20 minutes since they were on.

It could be that some of the headlights are sealed a little better than other and you just got a baddly sealed headlight causing more air to get in to the casing and causing all that condensation...

Good luck and I hope you get your issues solved.
[limp]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well microtonal thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

I just took the headlights off and can finally examine them. So, the passenger side is the one that i didn't have any problem with except that it had a little condensation right on the front/bottom. No biggie.

The driver's side one is the one that wouldn't adjust and had so much condensation that you couldn't see the black plastic. This one, i see now, is broken. One of the screws for the projector lamp itself is snapped where it attaches to the back housing of the headlight (facing towards the engine) It is still attached to the housing, but there is a quarter size hole in the back facing the engine. And the screw with the piece of housing is floating around inside the headlight. This hole explains why so much more water was able to get into this light.

I played with it for a while and pushed the screw with the housing back into its hole. I need to figure out a way to get this to stay like this. I think if i can make this stay it will take care of all my problems. 1) The water won't have a big hole to go in to 2) I think that this will make the lamp straight and then the adjuster screw will work.

I hope this makes since. Its hard to explain in words.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Hum...lol....my driver side was also the one I couldn't adjust until one day it decided to adjust.

Good luck.
.Woohoo...#600

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put the HID's in my 2000 Sony Focus, anyway when I got the headlamps, I noticed one was "loose" inside, the projector lens would move as you moved the headlamp. Turns out that in shipping it must have been dropped hard enough to cause one of the pivot points to disconnect, maybe this is what is happening to your Headlamp, I took off the back cover and snapped the joint back together, luckily it has worked fine for over a year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah thats what mine does. I can move the whole light inside the housing. I thought that fixing the one screw would tighten it up but....I WAS WRONG! Made it worse. Now the light shines even more downward. These things are a pain in the ass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts