Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this car. its an 02 SVT focus. i dont beat on it or anything. timing belt was changed relatively recent. its throwing a code p1381, which i hear is kind of notorious for this car.
thoughts and or ideas? i'm probably going to end up taking it to a mechanic. i'm just trying to better understand what im getting into.
is this an expensive fix? is it safe to drive still?

thanks in adance

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I had that code pop up awhile ago, I did a brief code search and found no useful info. The car was unattended for months with the battery still connected, completely drained. The battery was dead to begin with, deep cycled too many times. I can't write sentences, without a comma in the middle.

Anyway, disconnect the battery for a good few hours, make sure it's fully charged, probably have it tested for free at any auto parts store. The code will most likely go away once the "computer" has had enough sleep.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Here's a list of "codes" for reference:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59286

Looks like that is the typical one for timing that wasn't done quite right.

You can find threads here (and a few in the SVT performance section) on getting it right, this area has the most recent commentaries & gets more "looks'.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Doing a Google search for 2002 Focus P1381 came up with the following "P1381/P0011 Variable Cam Timing over-advanced (Bank 1) " (code P1383 similiar but for "over-retarded") and this link http://forums.focaljet.com/ford-svt...381-p1383-fix-important-timing-belt-info.html. Yes it is from the other Focus forum but it seems to go into detail on it.

Looks to be related to the VCT mechanism on the exhaust cam. Reading through it it seems the issue relates to the VCT being out of alignment with the cam causing the code.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i saw that just recently. im thinking its gotta be that. i hope its a relatively straight forward fix. the previous owner replaced the timing belt himself so it might explain it.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
And what happens when the cam to sprocket gets loosened on zetec motors, you lose that exact cam to VCT timing, the lower granny motors don't care a whole lot but the SVT is super b-tchy about getting it right.

Greatly tied to the skills of person doing the work and top of the line mechanics often can't do it right either. Can be the VCT itself but usually not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And what happens when the cam to sprocket gets loosened on zetec motors, you lose that exact cam to VCT timing, the lower granny motors don't care a whole lot but the SVT is super b-tchy about getting it right.

Greatly tied to the skills of person doing the work and top of the line mechanics often can't do it right either. Can be the VCT itself but usually not.
im starting think the previous owner is to blame. he seemed to know what he was talking about, but he was not a professional and he was the one to do the timing belt job.
i havent been able to take the car to the shop yet because of all this snow, but do you think the car is safe to drive? or should i avoid driving the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts