Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a bone stock 2003 ford focus and im looking for a good upgrade anything that can be done to get it faster, i am buying it off my parents for about $7,000 in August after i get out of Basic Training, so that will leave me with about $3,000+Basic pay thats saved up, anything will help, looking towards a show car slash civic killer.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
FR top end setup is like $3118.50 U.S. and that doesn't incl SVT head gasket, ARP fastener and the tune for that matter, so it starts to add up really fast so 4-5 grand would be ballpark.
165WHP is the max on the Focus Zetec N/A setup.

·
Registered
759 Posts
just a word of advice.. you won't have that much saved up .. i know when i went thru basic the DI made us buy so much crap.. i had about 1400 after i got home..

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you want a civic killer you should use a turbo, you can go N/A too. with no turbo you will want to get an exhaust , intake and atleast a tune. thats about 1500 depending on what you get

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i mean i was thinking bout getting a new full exhaust kit(headers, cat-back,and full piping and tip) the brand im not certain about as well as CAI, if im missing anything on this list please tell me. its also a 4dr sedan so what are the restrictions if any compared to the ZX series. and i was planning on getting a turbo later on. and thanks for all your help and advice.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
SVT Header-$400. 5whp
Exhaust-$250-$300. 3whp
Intake-$250. 2-3whp
Throttle body-$250. 2whp
UDP-$100. 1whp
Tune-$400. 6-7whp

So this is a rough estimate but thats about 130whp for $1650. Thats if you install everything, other wise there will be installation prices. You could also get the head ported pollished 3 angle valve job etc. and cams. So your looking at A LOT of money for 150-160whp..

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
If your going to go turbo dont bother with buying a header because you'll just be wasting your money. But you could go a head and buy a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im planning on installing mostly everything, just because of that fact. so its mostly the small things right now anyways so that i can install them, but im also still deciding if i should go all show car or all fast car or maybe mix alittle bit, dunno. and what is UDP?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Under Drive Pulley

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats what the guy at autozone said when i asked him about small parts to install and not tip my parents off to them, and he also answered my other question about my governor, he said that there is a blue wire connected to my throttle that i can cut to kill it, mostly cuz i want it out so that i dont top out at 110 anymore, any help with this is also appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how much would that run me about, cuz i first have to pay a speeding ticket which i was caught not racing when this happened, and i work at zaxby's so i dont really get $500 a pay check so i'll be saving up the little that i get.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Depends on what you can find and much the seller wants to rid of it. In the past a used jrsc might be found for 1700 to 2000. A tune generally goes for $380. Granted there are other items you would need, boost gauge, wideband... etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
considering the car is stock, and i just want to adjust/remove the governor, then i dont think i need a boost gauge, and is this wire cutting a myth? or is that true cuz i have a sight on what hes talking about, theres a group of wires, orange and blue and like another color, but i dont want to start cutting without knowledge of actually what im doing is right.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
thats what the guy at autozone said when i asked him about small parts to install and not tip my parents off to them, and he also answered my other question about my governor, he said that there is a blue wire connected to my throttle that i can cut to kill it, mostly cuz i want it out so that i dont top out at 110 anymore, any help with this is also appreciated.
Thats wrong. The only way to get rid of your govenor is through a tune.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well dang thanks a lot thats saves me my butt on the line then.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Lol, I really don't understand how he came up with a wire from the TB would control your govenor. Everything now-a-days is controled by the cars computer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i remember him telling me thats what he did to his cavalier and told me from his experience and so i guess he thought that they were about the same basics but i guess ill look into a tuner what is the best one for a good price?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
PM 1turbofocus or look at focuspower under the vendors

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also what recommedations you got for a Manual Tranny swap?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts