Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, finally I started to do some work on my engine after my stereo is in a state I like it for a while. I just ordered the Volant and the FC TB a few days ago - hope I can install it next weekend.

My major question is what should I do later on, what would be the best way to go? Originally I was thinking about the following:
- Volant CAI
- FC TB
- FC UDP (not sure in this)
- Magnaflow (or Borla?) cat-back
- Eibach Pro System (lower it 1 1/2")
- some nice 17" rims (maybe OZs)
- maybe a Diablo chip (I have an automatic)
- header/flexpipe (maybe)

At this point I'm not sure if I want to stop there or go with a JR SC. If I would go for that, what other mods would be necessary for my ATX? I remember I've read that the stock ATX can't handle a lot of power. Also, will everything work with the SC what I have in the original list? What about the cat-back? Do I have to get a 2.5" for the SC? If I do get a 2.5" what will be the effect if I don't go for the SC at all?

Well, I would greatly appreciate your comments. Please, keep in mind I want to keep my car as a daily driver and I travel a lot (love to go for a week driving 1500+ miles in CA, AZ, NV and UT) and I don't intend to go racing at all - I just like the performance on the street when I go somewhere. Also, please try to keep it simple as I'm new to this area - engine mods - and whatever I know came from this forum[cheers]

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
you won't need the 65mm TB with the SC, the TB that the SC uses is actually built into the SC. I don't know from experience either but the ATX I've heard will not hold up under the increased power load and is REALLY expensive to bolster.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, this is what concerns me that the ATX might be quite expensive to beef up to handle the additional power from a SC. Any ideas what would I need to strenghten it up and how much would it be?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Does the new 2.3L have the same ATX, the 2.3L are making some serious torque. So if it can handle that I don't see why it couldn't handle a modded zetec

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if the PZEV has the same ATX but I recall an older post when someone mentioned that the ATX in the Zetec can handle about 140 whp or something similar in this range. Above that a definite upgrade is necessary.

Anyone knows what this upgrade would be in cost and part-wise?

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
well, I know from someone else that the cost of going SC with an ATX significantly outweighs the benefit. After you've shelled out the cash for the SC be looking to spend at least a grand to beef up the ATX, and quite possibly more than that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of ... that the ATX would be way too expensive to strenghten ...

Well, seems like I just stay with my original list and see how it goes - for that the stock ATX should be fine. At least I have some more cash to spend on some video gear as I have some crazy ideas [:D]

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
RPIJG said:
you won't need the 65mm TB with the SC, the TB that the SC uses is actually built into the SC. I don't know from experience either but the ATX I've heard will not hold up under the increased power load and is REALLY expensive to bolster.
The throttle body that the SC uses?...it uses the stock one, the 65mm does benifit of course and if the car is boosted, that and a 70mm maf would be on my top priority's

i have seen an automatic jrsc focus go through a tranny in less than three weeks, it can't handle the 134-140whp when beaten...if your going boost...at least do 2.5"..i would do 2.5" anyway. i would just do the simple mods you have listed...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. Well, in this case I will probably stick with the original idea and forget the SC - it was just a passing tought anyway. I think I will have plenty of fun even with the rest of the mods. Also, somehow the idea of putting a PC in my car with some wireless Internet access really stick with me lately, so after the CAI, TB and exhaust I might go for that [;)]

Kickn, so for the exhaust you would recommend to go 2.5" in either way even without the JRSC, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts