Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forums so I hope I put this one on the right spot.
Ok well, I bought an AEM universal intake kit for my 08 ford focus. I just wanted to make a short intake nothing complicated so in any case I can just put the stock intake back on easily. So I just cut like 5-6 inches off the tube that comes with the kit and made a square to fit the MAF. Then connected one side of the tube to the stock hose that goes to the throttle body and to the other side the cone filter. Everything looked good when I started the car and rev the engine up the engine wants to die, unless I step on the gas all the way in, like if it wasn't getting any air. Some of the things I can think of are: aluminum tube too short? I didn't oil the filter (I don't know if that really matters), I also noticed that when I made the square for the MAF, there some little openings (I was going to seal those up later, but I don't know if they could be a problem). Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
I don't have a pic of my car with the intake I'm trying out, but this how it basically looks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
pipe could be too short, or the maf is upside down?? Did you have your battery cable unplugged? Need to reset ur ECU my unplugging the neg battery for like 10 mins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. I did notice the MAF was upside down, so I fixed that. Also I didn't unplug the battery for 10mins, so I did that too. Now when I started the car, the engine was fine, but when I look at the instrument panel the engine light is on. On the manual it says that solid illumination after engine is started indicates the On Board Diagnostics System has detected a malfunction. Also I noticed that out of the exhaust was coming out a lot of "cool" air, I haven't used the car at all just turn it on, so the engine is still cold, but wouldn't the air out of the exhaust be a little warmer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
238 Posts
You need to seal up those gaps around the MAF sensor and also ensure everything is tight and nothing is leaking. I vacuum leak especially after the MAF sensor will cause your CEL and rough running.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yes, seal up those holes. unmetered air is getting into your engine. fix that, and then reset the ecu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at the MAF sensor and it has a rubber seal around it, so when I tightened it, it looked pretty tight no holes visible, but I'll seal that up even more though. I'll just do it tomorrow because I have to go to work soon. Oh and I went for a little ride around the neighborhood and I noticed it shifted hard.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
u have duratec i think but on my zetec the MAF has to be in the same diameter tube. it only reads a certain amount of air and that amount of air is supposed to be like 10% or something (on zetec anyway). So it uses a ratio to fugure how much air you are getting. if you changed the diameter of the intake tube, my bet is thats whats doing it.

the zetec MAF is just a little shaft. if it looks like that i can almost guarentee you thats what it is.

try putting the same diameter pipe (same dia. as the stock pipe that is) a few inches on either side of the MAF sensor. i think this will fix you up.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
wait...u changed the maf tube diameter?? didnt know that. if u did that, yup, ur screwed lol. u need to go back to normal. the maf is set to work with a specific volume of air. u change it, ull have all sorts of problems. but ur pic doesnt look like u changed it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the kit comes with a 3inch diameter tube and thats what i used, its pretty close to the stock's diameter. So if its set to work with a certain amount of volume of air, will making the tube longer to compensate work?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
no. ur still changing the stoichiometric balance. the air isnt flowing the wya it was set to. this has been attacked b4. noone got it to work. its not set up that way. only way is to get a tune.

and yes, its a huge difference, that 3 inches. the stock is only 2.5.

·
Registered
889 Posts
id just get rid of the aluminum tube and put your stock one in but instead of it going to the intake box, mount your filter at the end of the intake pipe, and then you wont have any problems with anything, and would still get the same performance witn n/a engine.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
this is why buying universal stuff is not really good on our cars.

·
Registered
889 Posts
ok i just looked at 2008 engine, and it seems like you wont be able to do that ^^^ without cutting the stock airbox, coz it looks like 1 piece.. i dunno if you wanna do that with a brand new car tho..
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/Q/-/1/ag_08focus_engine.jpg

lol send ur intake back and tell them its not an universal one.. coz it doesnt work on your focus
i donno.. either im an idoit or the site is lagging..i think i just saw the exact same pic you posted, and it wasnt there before... but now its gone again/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soooo...i decided to give it one last try today, and cut off about 1 inch making the tube now 4 inches long and made the hole for the MAF exactly the same distance from the ends as in the stock, and sealed all the wholes. now its working...well to my knowledge it is engine doesnt die engine light doesnt come on so im guessing its working went for a lil test run and it worked fine i felt very good acceleration [clap] attached is a picture i took of it lol please dont laugh at the zipties holding the filter right now lol they are not permanent that was just to hold it down for the little test run

Attachments

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
u might want to get ur afr check to be sure....u could be running really lean....and thats not good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i went on a lil test run on the highway n its working fine except that i noticed it shifted kinda hard from like 1st to 2nd other than that everything was fine, but i dont want to b driving the whole wondering when something is going to go wrong, so i think im just gonna take the advice get the k&n drop in filter n save some money to get the steeda kit or something made for the 08 focus. [ffrocks]

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
u could just get the steeda...it sucks there is no cai yet. but yeah, u dont wanna run lean and blow ur engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts