Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im going to buy a aftermarket header soon for my 01 zx3, i was jw what kinds you can still get shipped to california and are smog legal, if any. If none are legal what ones are easy to install and uninstall so i can take them off when i go to smog the car? I was thinking a aftermarket shorty header would be best such as the pacesetter headers, etc. However i wish i could run a long tube header, how easy are long tube headers to install and uninstall? when u remove the stock exhaust manifold does it just bolt off somewhere, or do u have to cut it off? jw since i would be wanting to be able to reinstall my stock header when i go to smog, if i get a long tube header? please any answers will help, and a list of shorty, and race headers and explanation of how to install them and differences would be nice, and also lmk if they are smog legal, thank you.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Being the SVT was sold in CA I would say it should pass.
So Stock SVT header/cat/flex would be the best route IMO.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much would all that run? and is it all just direct bolt on? Or would it require any mods, welding?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Regular SVT wont pass because it deletes the EGR but there is a revised SVT header with a bung for the EGR that might pass.

The only shorty I know of that is CA legal is JBA

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just found the jba actually, it looks like a fairly quality header. IS it a decent header? I am mainly looking to get rid of the stock dented rusted one, and wanting to get a little bit better exhaust sound, slight power increase nothing big.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
JBA is a really good company. I've know a few people that have had them on their trucks and never had any problems with then. I have also heard of their flanges cracking but they will honor the warranty is that happens.

A lot of people on here will say not to get a shorty header but all said and done its a lot cheaper then a full SVT set up unless you run a ORP. If you're just going for better sound and looks I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i wanna keep my car smog legal as well, which is why i was looking at aftermarket shortys first. I would love to run a svt setup but its too pricey, and too much of a hassle. Would i notice a little bit of a power difference at least with this header though? That would be nice also.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of gains you could get from it but there are a few people on here who have the JBA. Maybe they will chime in and be a little more help on it.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
as an FYI you can no longer buy (new) the SVT header with the EGR bung. I bought one about 1 year ago and the dealership showed 0 in stock for the whole nation for dealers and warehouses... I bought a normal SVT header and then had a exhaust shop weld a bung on and then go from there. Not sure of which other full length header has an EGR bung on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hedman has a shorty header that will work with the zxe also on summit racing for 300. idk if its carb legal though, or how it compares to the jba

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
The svt header is worth every bit of the hassle once you take your car out and feel the added power, it makes more power at every speed imaginable. I am in love with mine, sometimes I even take it off my car and let it sleep at the end of my bed. That's how much I love it. Don't waste your time with another shorty header. It looks cool, but anyone that knows about foci will ask you why you didn't go with svt. Pick up an svt (mine was a hundred bucks), spend a few bucks at an exhaust shop getting an egr bung welded in, and collect the svt header and flex. I'm telling you its worth every penny you'll spend.

A header won't make as much of a sound difference as a high flow cat, larger diameter flex pipe and exhaust, and the choice of mufflers. Mufflers make the most differennce in sound, obviously.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts