Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about to buy an 07 Focus zx3, and I was wondering if I buy the rear calipers from an 03 svt can I convert the car to disc brakes? If so what else would I need for this to work?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,201 Posts
You need the spindles, dust shields, parking brake cables.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a smart idea to do only the rear, or grab the front calipers and spindles as well? Also even though mine would be an 07 would the parts still be the same? Also are there any videos or other threads that will give me an idea of how to do the conversion?

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Is it a smart idea to do only the rear, or grab the front calipers and spindles as well? Also even though mine would be an 07 would the parts still be the same? Also are there any videos or other threads that will give me an idea of how to do the conversion?
Having svt brakes front and rear is a good idea. For the front, you only need the calipers/brackets and then pads/rotors. I did this swap on my '07, was real easy. I ran the rear SVT setup/stock 07 front setup and the car still braked fine, I didnt notice any wierd imbalances but doing the fronts is a nice improvement if you plan on doing any aggressive driving and need to dissipate more heat

The hardest to find part for the rear swap is the caliper bracket. I have a pair of them left over, if you cant find them, shoot me a PM. I would say the rear dust shields are optional, i never ran them. You also need the rear brake lines (SVT uses a soft to hard line back to a soft line but you can get away with using a single '07 line, worked for me, used a single SS line.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Having svt brakes front and rear is a good idea. For the front, you only need the calipers/brackets and then pads/rotors. I did this swap on my '07, was real easy. I ran the rear SVT setup/stock 07 front setup and the car still braked fine, I didnt notice any wierd imbalances but doing the fronts is a nice improvement if you plan on doing any aggressive driving and need to dissipate more heat

The hardest to find part for the rear swap is the caliper bracket. I have a pair of them left over, if you cant find them, shoot me a PM. I would say the rear dust shields are optional, i never ran them. You also need the rear brake lines (SVT uses a soft to hard line back to a soft line but you can get away with using a single '07 line, worked for me, used a single SS line.)
I'm a bit new to working on cars, but there is a part out SVT near me that I have been messaging, He says he has all the brake components, would the bracket be there or is that an aftermarket piece, also I don't need the spindles for the front, only the brackets?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,201 Posts
Bracket attaches to front caliper. Grab it with the caliper. You dont need the spindles. The rear caliper mounts to the rear spindle. It is a one piece casting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts