Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 focus ses 5speed. When I take off in 1st gear it shakes. Sometimes barely and other times violently. Then is fine. Now I'm noticing it's got a small shimmy when going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. But not every single time. It's not slipping. No rpm shifts or raising without speed raise. Any ideas?.

·
Registered
403 Posts
How many miles? Sounds like clutch chatter taking off from 1st. What do you mean by shimmy going from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Double check the engine mounts, especially the rear trans mount and passenger mount. Sounds like you have a clutch replacement in your future. When was it changed last?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure. I got it from the dealership and I've put 40k Mikes on it. I'm going to take it to the shop sometime this week. A clutch replacement is 580 after taxes. Would it be better if I got like a stage 2? That way I can get on it every once in a while or would that not make a difference as a normal or oem clutch

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not sure. I got it from the dealership and I've put 40k Mikes on it. I'm going to take it to the shop sometime this week. A clutch replacement is 580 after taxes. Would it be better if I got like a stage 2? That way I can get on it every once in a while or would that not make a difference as a normal or oem clutch
Make sure the mounts are checked as those will make a lot of vibration. If the engine is stock, no need for for an expensive clutch. OEM should be fine. With 120k on the clock, I wouldn't be beating on it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yeah, I'd take a look at the passenger side engine mount. I can sell you one that only has a few thousand miles on it if your tight on cash. Does the idle feel rough?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a similar little shimmy or jiggle when I start off in first right before the clutch grabs completely. I replaced my passenger side mount previously for a rough idle so I know that's not the issue and I also had my dogbone mount out for a short while and it looked just fine except for a few tiny little stress cracks in the rubber. I haven't been able to figure it out yet but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the dual mass flywheel they put in these cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts