Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, but I already have a problem on my hands with my '06 Focus ZX5 2.0. I deleted the factory maintenance free air box and instead installed a K&N filter from their part number 57-0595. Really all I did was remove the air box and use a 3 inch piece of pipe to connect to the throttle body hose the new filter. I drove it right after and it ran great! Then after I turned it off for a bit, came back out and went for a second drive, the check engine light came on and gave me a P0102, low MAF voltage. I have no idea what to do from here, as I checked all the connections and they seem good, with one exception:

On the bottom of the filterless box assembly, near the push button filter life reset thing, there was a barbed fitting molded in that looked like a vacuum hose should have gone there, and I never found that hose to reconnect after the air filter install. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a vacuum line running to the bottom of that air filter box? Here is a top view picture of the box before I yanked it out:

If not, I am more puzzled, and my Focus is stalling at low speeds when I have the AC on and make turns into parking spots, and seems to surge at times. Overall though, once moving, it runs well.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I have owned this car since I bought it new from the dealership and this is the very first time the Check Engine light has ever come on!

Thanks!!!

-Randall

·
Registered
115 Posts
2 things to look at.

1. Is the MAF plugged in. Easy to overlook that.
2. Pull the MAF and clean it. I have seen many times in the past where the K&N filter oil coats the MAF and it won't read right. Usually happens with band new filters since they REALLY oil them from the factory. I would check those first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, I will go buy a can of MAF cleaning spray on the way home from work tomorrow and post a picture of what the new filter looks like. I am going to clean the MAF for sure, but I am weary of that being the issue since I had the code come up within the first ten minutes of driving time. I didn't unplug the MAF for the procedure, but I honestly didn't even check the connection to the sensor, so I will do that too. Thanks very much for the advice, I will let you know what I find tomorrow (left car at work's parking lot tonight).

I still would like to find out if there is a vacuum line that runs to the bottom of that filterless box assembly if you, or anyone else knows, as this would really help me rule that out because I feel I may have missed that item, if it even is there.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
The unit with the red/yellow/green filter clog indicator on it is the vapor collector only......not the air filter housing. It never had a vacuum hose or any other hose attached to it. Under the vapor collector is the factory MAF installed in it's housing/tube.......what have you done with that? The OEM air filter assembly is below the MAF housing/tube. It is mounted on the bumper support/rail, with a long snorkle tube above the wheel well. Or have I missed something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I left the tube below the box intact, and there is still a sensor mounted in the tube. Here is a picture to make things easier:

I cleared the p0102, and it came right back. I'm not sure what else to do. I checked all the hoses and electrical connections, and the throttle response is even very good, but it does still occasionally stall and the Check engine light stays lit. I didnt clean the MAF yet because it is in front of the new filter, so I figured it wasn't from the oily coating coming off. Is that really the MAF in the tube underneath the filter pictured here?

I was under the impression that these cars had no air filter, but am I wrong?

Thanks, I am greatly appreciative of the help so far, and I'll keep checking back as I'm stumped!!
-Randall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, here is a picture of the permanent air filter box I mentioned. The hole on top is where the filter maitainence button was and the barbed pipe under that is what I was concerned with. Does a hose go there? I could not find any loose lines during my inspection last night, but I'm still curious. Thanks!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
You are not the first one! The MAF sensor has to be able to sense the engine intake air flow.......it's the primary sensor for the engine control system. Your MAF sensor is no longer able to do that......it's doing dick. It is mounted in the MAF housing/tube (see that screen?) that is directly under your new filter. Your engine is presently running on some default values from a couple of other sensors, but you need to get that MAF and housing connected back up to the throttle body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much Grumpy for your input, I had no idea that the MAF could be mounted in such a weird place before I decided to get rid of the air box in favor of an open element. I knew that the screened off tube was the air hose coming in and I thought that it would be perfect to mount the filter right on top of that for the best flow. Even K&N's tech line rep said it would work on my car when I called them, and it actually seems to run better with vastly improved throttle response...minus the stalling and check engine light! Is there a way to keep the K&N on there with a different or additional modification?

I actually would like to re-install the factory air intake set up, but my girlfriend accidentally ran it over with her Explorer because I apparently left it in her parking spot in the garage, lol. Anyway, I looked online and no one sells these stock units that I could find, anyone have suggestions on where to get one?

I am really bummed about this as I never have had a car that you could not just throw in an open element and be on your way, even my '09 F-150 work truck allows for this!

Do you Grumpy, or any other members, have suggestions for upgrading the air intake system?

Thanks again Grumpy, you are a huge help!!

-Randall

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Anyway, I looked online and no one sells these stock units that I could find, anyone have suggestions on where to get one?
Junkyard, Buy and Sell forum here on FF or dealer. If you go to the dealer, bring large bags of money.

Do you Grumpy, or any other members, have suggestions for upgrading the air intake system?
http://www.ineedawebsite.com/BlazingCopperZX3/Stealth%20CAI.html
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195366

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Thanks so much Grumpy for your input, I had no idea that the MAF could be mounted in such a weird place before I decided to get rid of the air box in favor of an open element. I knew that the screened off tube was the air hose coming in and I thought that it would be perfect to mount the filter right on top of that for the best flow. Even K&N's tech line rep said it would work on my car when I called them, and it actually seems to run better with vastly improved throttle response...minus the stalling and check engine light! Is there a way to keep the K&N on there with a different or additional modification?

I actually would like to re-install the factory air intake set up, but my girlfriend accidentally ran it over with her Explorer because I apparently left it in her parking spot in the garage, lol. Anyway, I looked online and no one sells these stock units that I could find, anyone have suggestions on where to get one?

I am really bummed about this as I never have had a car that you could not just throw in an open element and be on your way, even my '09 F-150 work truck allows for this!

Thanks again Grumpy, you are a huge help!!

-Randall

Posted via FF Mobile This is why many members continue to tell people do not cheap out on modifications. The MAF sensor is made to be before the filter. Also since now your filter is above there is no suction going on through the MAF housing. What should you do? Why not go aftermarket. Its worth it.

http://fswerks.com/fswerks_coolflo_air_intake.htm

Or you can get the steeda one if your worried about hydrolock. But as you can see both have modifications made so the MAF can go behind the filter.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Right now I'm sure that at some point if you tried to "romp" on the car (above about 3000 RPM) it'll bog out on you and the SES light will come on. Unfortunately the Visteon intake system that Ford used on our '05-'07 cars is a pain when you do require a replacement. I'm not normally a fan of aftermarket intakes but they are available for your car. A "heat shielded", "short ram" type with the correct MAF housing could work for you (a fellow BCer has a couple of links in post #9 above). I see that it's a PZEV and you're in Calif......do you have to pass the Calif emissions test? If so, will the missing vapor collector, if noticed/checked, cause a failure? Some Focus owner from Ca can maybe answer this? Have you actually removed the air filter housing (that's below the MAF tube)?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Depending on how the MAF is designed you might be able to remove it from the tube and make some adapters to put it between the filter and intake tube. I'm not sure why Ford put it down therer. It's the only car I've seen that has the MAF before the filter. They are always after the filter to keep debris from damaging the MAF. I would see if you can relocate it and if not, hit up your local junkyard to see if you can get another housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Thanks so much you guys, this info above is amazingly helpful, and the links posted by BC-Z 3 with the "stealth" filter install were awesome!! Now that I think I finally understand how the system is all put together, I'm ready to fix the set up I have. I think I will try relocating the MAF to see what results I get, and possibly just buy one of the systems that are available. I'll have a shot on the weekend to work on it, so I'll make sure to post an update.

Thanks so much for the help everyone, this forum is awesome!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Chaps......the stock MAF is installed downstream of the air filter. I'm pretty sure that Randall06 has not yet actually located/removed the air filter assembly. It is UNDER the existing MAF and is mounted to the bumper support/side rail. What he removed was the vapor collector/resonator. This was all covered a couple of years ago but this may help: http://www.visteon.com/products/automotive/ais_withec.html The unit shown is the unit used on the '05-'07 Focus minus the long snorkel above the fender well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the help, I followed the same procedure as in the stealth cia write up, and the check engine light is gone, and the car runs much better! I made a temporary tube that connects the throttle body to the MAF tube, but I will likely just find another resonator and re-install that. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts