Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SE...
and I am wondering if it's possible to hook an amplifier to the cd system that already comes with the car. So, if anyone could give me some direction on what to do I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Yes its possible you can get this thing (dont know what it is called) from radio shack. You hook it up to the stock cd player and it has rca outputs.It would probaly be better to have a shop do it for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wicked, thanks for your help!

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
why dont you want to put in a new deck?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because, it seems like the deck is larger than most decks that you can buy, so that's why I'm wanting to loop through the OEM deck. Why, are there problems that come with setting it up that way?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My brother had his hooked up like that in his F-150 for a while and never had any problems but it would probaly sound better on a aftermarket deck,but if you arereally serious about it and going with a pretty big system then get an aftermarket hed unit.I have one of them things i was talking about in my other post right in front ofme.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
umm, they make these things called line-in converters, they change the line level (speaker inputs) into RCA's, they're self powered, and just need a lead ran from a left and right speaker. typically cost ya about $15

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
i think you would get much better sound from a good aftermarket deck. you can get install kits that takes care of all the wiring, an antenna adapter to plug your antenna to your deck, and dash kit so that takes up the extra space in the dash. it doesnt look that bad, mine has a little cargo tray above my deck that takes up the extra space. i got the wiring harness, antenna adapter and dash kit for a total of like 30 bucks or something from www.sounddomain.com. all i had to do was splice the wiring harness to my stereo, and plug it into the car, total install took like 20 minutes from the boxes on the doorstep to working deck.

i am very happy with it. i can post a pic if you want, but it might take a little while, my batteries are dead in my cheap digicameracrap, just let me know.

the only other trick is that there is a special tool needed to get the stock deck out of the dash, its an anti-theft thing. i just went into my dealer and had them pull it. if they wont do it, you can buy that tool pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I think I might go with an after market cd and fill with something there...can you give me any advice on where to get that type of thing?

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's a line level converter. just hook it to the back speaker wires and plug in the rca and you're set.

·
Registered
793 Posts
op_focus said:
Yeah, I think I might go with an after market cd and fill with something there...can you give me any advice on where to get that type of thing?
They make fillers for aftermarket decks that fill the space the stock one leaves, its no bid deal and it looks nice

·
Registered
567 Posts
also with the radio bezel if you don't mind spending alittle more you can go to a ford dealer and order a sony explod edition bezel. I'm not sure how much it costs but the only down side to it is that it has a small explod emblum on it.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
op_focus said:
any place that sells decks will usually also sell the stuff you need to install. i got my parts online because it was the cheapest way to go. but if you are buying a new deck, a lot of places have free install. shop around your neighborhood to see what you can find.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help...I think I'm going with 2 12" woofers, so if should be fun.[thumb]

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
sounds like a good plan op. i hope you enjoy it. i currently have a pretty nice aftermarket deck installed on the stock system, and i like it ok. i might be upgrading speakers before too long, but subs and amps are out of my price range for know. good luck. let us know what you decide, i am interested.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't use a line level coverter - no matter how high quality - it's going to be junk. Just trust me on this one! Best Buy / Circuit City etc, has dash kits and wiring harnesses so you don't have to screw with the stock wires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I got everything installed today and it's sweet!!! I finally went with the after market deck. So, thanks everyone for all your help, I think I'm happier that I went with the after market deck, (because it plays mp3's).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great choice. MP3 is awesome, I've had the same burned CD (with 168 songs on it) in my car for a month now. It just sits on random all the time. It's about time to re-do it though and add my latest downloads.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
congrats op. i am glad you went aftermarket. mp3 is cool.

make sure you keep your stock radio incase you ever have to sell the car. most ppl dont like buying cars without radios and you can keep reinstalling your new deck in whatever ride you got. i did that with my radio when i bought my focus, yanked my aftermarket deck out of my truck and installed it in the focus.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts