Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've been having an issue in my 01 SPI automatic where sometimes during the first 15-20 minutes of driving I'll start from a stop and the car won't accelerate normally (far slower) and there's kind of a grinding noise and a vibration. If I lift and then resume normal acceleration it goes away. Any ideas what this is? Is my trans grenaded? If it's not transmission, what should I check, and is this a fatal issue? Once the car is 100% warm there are no issues and 3/4 starts in those first few minutes are normal, but there's always one or two lately that show those symptoms described above. If there's any way to save my MkI I'd like to do it, and if it's time to move on I'd like to start looking with certainty that it's the right choice.

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
Could be brakes dragging for a second to then release.

If you use parking brake it can be the cable sticking to do same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, hadn't considered brakes. The parking brake is busted so it probably is not that, but I'll double check to make sure it's not like partially engaged in a way where it might be catching under certain circumstances. This car has had an issue with rear brakes dragging in the past.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts