Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm having problems with my 02 1.8 Focus zetec. I hadn't started it for a few weeks as the Mrs was in hospital having a baby. Ive come back to start it and battery has been flat so I used jump leads to start it but something happened and the battery was completely dead. I'vve bought a new battery and put it on and it now starts but the radio has stopped working and the battery light comes on after about 20 seconds. Could this be tha alternator or fuse or ecu? I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start. Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

Will

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check to make sure the wires from the alternator are connected properly and check to make sure the wires to the battery are solid as well. If they are all good then its possible your alternator is failing. Not sure about the radio that could just be a fuse.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 - poor connections are the most common cause of issues with electrical systems...

Even "normal" drain can kill an old battery when it isn't being used every day...

There might be (and often are) multiple issues here, but start with a good battery & ALL terminals & grounds disassembled, cleaned, & lubed, and 90% of electrical issues go away....

Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at those. One thing that I forgot to mention was that when the car is running it seems to slow down the revs when the battery light comes on after the 30 seconds. Prior to the light coming on it ticks over at a high rev count. Does this mean anything to anyone?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at those. One thing that I forgot to mention was that when the car is running it seems to slow down the revs when the battery light comes on after the 30 seconds. Prior to the light coming on it ticks over at a high rev count. Does this mean anything to anyone?
Get the Alternator checked out from the wiring/pigtail plug to the actual Alternator. What you describe above was my exact issue and I think the lower RPM means the car is running off of the battery only at that time. I will also tell you this. Once the battery is gone the car wont run. It may start but it will die on you.

Please post back once you figure out what the issue is.

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts