Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
I am posting on behalf of my brother in law who is currently out of the country but i have his 2003 SVT Focus parked in front of my house. I am planning to help him and take care of some of the issues he had with his car for the past 2 months.
Car is 100% stock with about 65k miles. Cluch was replaced 30k miles ago.

The biggest, most obvious problem is tires and tire wear! Less than 25k miles ago, he replaced his tires with some "no-name" Ebay tires called "Wanli". Needless to say, these tires were wearing pretty fast and the way they performed was more than questionable. However, until about 2-3 weeks ago, they still had about 30% rubber left on them.
His steering wheel was vibrating at certain speeds but it was not that bad. Car was fully drivable at almost any speed.

For the last 2-3 weeks, with less than 500miles put on the car, somehow the front tires got REALLY bad. Now, they are at the metal wires on the INSIDE. I am talking only about the fronts. Rear tires are OK.

How is this possible to happen? How did these 2 front tires, both got to the metal wires in less than a month with less than 500 miles put on them??
Now, the car cannot be driven faster than 50mph because steering vibrates like crazy!!! In the city, at speeds 40mph or less, it drives just fine.
We already have 4 brand new Kumho Ecsta ASX tires in the garage, but before i install them... let me ask you this:

1. Can these "no-name" tires go so bad, so FAST, only on the inside just like that? Anyone seen such premature wear?

2. Could there be a major hidden suspension problem that is causing this tire behavior? I lifted up the car today to see how the suspension looks. Visually, i did not see anything wrong. All ruber bushings look fine, nothing broken, all seems to be tight.... except - when only one side is raised and i grab the raised wheel/tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and try to shake/rock it ...is does move a little. The whole suspension moves a little, including the arm attached to the steering assembly! Btw, the other front wheel/tire was on the ground.

IS this normal? Is such play in the steering assembly/suspension normal when only one side is lifter up? Could this be the reason for steering vibrations at speed? Could this cause FAST tire wear on the inside?

3. Anything else that i need to suspect/check that can lead to this premature tire wear?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Have you hit anything or been on any rough gravel/dirt roads? If not and the tires are both wearing the same amount, id guess its just horrible tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you hit anything or been on any rough gravel/dirt roads? If not and the tires are both wearing the same amount, id guess its just horrible tires.
Unfortunately, i know that he has hit a few potholes....LONG time ago. There are some bends on the rim of the wheels. Nothing major but the wheels have some visual damage. He has bought 2 brand new SVT wheels so they will be installed with the new tires.
Just keep in mind that even though the wheels are damaged, the damage on them was not caused during the past 3 weeks when the tires got bad.

And yes, the tires are worm almost equally bad. Driver side shows a little more wires. :(

Why would the tires wear only in the inside?? Is this just bad allignment or it could be something else??

Thank you!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Well im not sure of the problem. Though whqt i think will fix this problem is new better tires and an alignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts