Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... bare with me here cus i dont know how to talk "car talk"

So I was driving all day today then around 2 pm I was driving on the street and my car begins to act funny. I was driving around 30mph and when i stepped on the gas.. nothing.. rpm wouldnt go up, in fact it dropped and my car died. So i turned it on again, and tried to drive it slower.. but when i would press on the gas, it would start to chug.. then eventually it would turn off on me. Just seems like its choking or something.. and when i try to press on the gas a lot, there's like these cracking/ticking noises..[:(]

It's happened to me before, under the same type of really hot weather, not sure if thats relevant or not. Took it to my dads, nothing else is wrong, everything else looks good, not even the check engine light turns on... he said it might be the CAT, but he's not a mechanic, thought you guys could help. [dunno]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Clogged fuel filter? Maybe a bad fuel pump....

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Where the engine cooling fans kicking on?
I know when the car goes into limp home mode and is overheating you get a huge loss of power and sometimes it may stall.
If that be the case the Cooling Fan Resistor may be to blame. It's the guy between the 2 engine cooling fans.
Basically all you have to do to check if they work is get the car warm and listen for one, kick the A/C on and the second one should kick in shortly after.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
could be alot of things....Id say change out the fuel filter(like 8 bucks)....and inspect the Mass air flow sensor and throttle position sensor to start with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I replaced the fuel filter a couple months back.

The fans and stuff work, cus you can here them as soon as the car starts getting hot.

I actually took apart my intake, and check if everything was good, or if anything was loose or dirty.

So from this.. i guess i really should replace my CAT...

QUESTION: I usually google things just to see prices and what they look like, but I kept running into CATs that say "not for California" If i were to get one, where should i look? Dealer?[???:)]

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
look on here...post in the WTB section....or maybe even go aftermarket....but before you spend anymore money have someone pull it off and check it out.

this could also be a misfire..have u ever changed the sparkplugs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, yea I'ma for sure get it checked out..

As for sparkplugs, in october i switched them out for denso ones, and got denso wires too..

Do you recommend any places where i can get it checked? Don't mind driving, Long beach places are very iffy.. and most of them only specialize in like hondas and crap.. Do you know any places that specialize in fords?

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
^^Ive read alot of negative reviews on denso plugs on foci's...not saying thats the prob....try focussport..I know they dont do maint...but they added a maint. section to there website so possibly they might take a look at it...if not im sure theres plenty of good honest mom and pop shops in your area..

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Have you noticed if the problem starts when you take a hard right turn?

What your describing is exactly like when my fuel pump was faulting. ESPECIALLY since you have a 2001 (like mine).

I had replaced the fuel filter and that "helped" for a little but eventually HAD to replace the fuel pump.

I bought the redesigned 03-04 high flow fuel pump from www.focus.c-f-m.com. Sleestak made a killer how-to on it: (link isn't coming up, but here's the complete how to: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65218&highlight=complete+archive)

But if you're taking it in somewhere, I would definitely put that on the list of things for the mechanic to check. Also, b16sir1991 can look up your VIN on the Oasis and tell you if your car had ever had the pump replaced under the recall. Mine wasn't qualified for the recall but needed it replaced anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you noticed if the problem starts when you take a hard right turn?
Hey, I thought that was another problem all together... thought it had to do with my driving or something...

Although i can't say that was the cause of it, because the time before that, it happened when i was on the 5 freeway coming home from fresno so there weren't any hard turns there...poop.. [dunno]

So when i take it to get checked I'll get both checked:

Fuel Pump
Clogged CAT...

THanks GUYS! really appreciate the help..

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Well the hard right turn only exaggerated the failing fuel pump, because of where it's located (on the right side, and the centrifical force causes the fuel to push to one side of the tank).

I had the exact same problem on the highway and was stranded in a little town of Iowa for hours. That's when I replaced the fuel filter on the side of a gravel road and limped home (oh man it took frick'n hours to get home....lol, but thanks to a local on a Harley, he brought me tools and stuff).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the hard right turn only exaggerated the failing fuel pump, because of where it's located (on the right side, and the centrifical force causes the fuel to push to one side of the tank).

I had the exact same problem on the highway and was stranded in a little town of Iowa for hours. That's when I replaced the fuel filter on the side of a gravel road and limped home (oh man it took frick'n hours to get home....lol, but thanks to a local on a Harley, he brought me tools and stuff).
dude! thats crazy!.. the time it happened to me on the way home from fresno, i was about 5-10 miles from buttonwillow (closest rest stop) and an my car kept turning off on me.. It was about 90 sum degrees out.. so i would sit there for about five ten minutes.. then turn it on.. go about half a mile then it would turn off on me.. took me about an hour to get to the rest stop..

Sad part, i was two hours away from home.. and two hours from my sisters house in fresno... so i was stuck.. So i sat at starbucks.. for about an hour.. cried a lil.. haha.. then got back into my car, kissed my guardian angel chain.. and drove it home.. [stupid and scary move] but had really no choice and if i did.. i was to pissed to think of it.. haha

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Yeah that's spot on. You let it die, wait a few minutes, drive for a few miles.....then it dies again.

Weird that replacing my fuel filter let me get home. Because I didn't change the fuel pump for a few months after that incident. I think it was my guardian angel too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts